Old Testament Killing and New Testament Jesus

Dear Forum Members:
The Old Testament has killing after killing in it with the comment that God supports it. Remember Joshua going into the promise land and killing the Cananites. How can we reconcile this with Jesus saying turn the other check, pray for your enemies and treat your neighbors as yourself?

Perhaps its along similar lines to Jesus’ words about Moses allowing divorce because they were so unteachable.As history has developed, God has adapted his way of dealing with humanity, therefore the early days of human life cannot compare with what we know and have learnt up to today. At the “fullness of time” God gave us the new teachings of love one another -and maybe humanity was just not ready to understand this teaching in earlier times.
www.divinemercypopes.com

There is plenty of killing in the New Testament after Jesus.

God killed Ananias and his wife Sapphira in the New Testament. Ananias and Sapphira sold a piece of property and held back some of the proceeds. God struck them dead on the spot. This was chapter 5 of Acts of the Apostles. Reference quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/r/rsv/rsv-idx?type=DIV2&byte=5052357

1.2 million Jews died when God rendered judgement on Jerusalem in 70 AD. Jesus himself prophesied that this would happen in Matthew 24. The entire city was destroyed and hundreds of thousands died - this was 37 years after Christ’s ascension into Heaven.

I’m really wondering if people read the same Bible as I do because vast numbers of people are killed in the Book of Revelation.

*And I saw, and behold, a pale horse, and its rider’s name was Death, and Hades followed him; and they were given power over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword and with famine and with pestilence and by wild beasts of the earth. (Revelation 6:8)

So the four angels were released, who had been held ready for the hour, the day, the month, and the year, to kill a third of mankind. (Revelation 9:15)

etc.*

God himself sends angels to kill one quarter of the entire earth!

-Tim-

The Old Testament has killing after killing in it with the comment that God supports it.

What you meant to say, I believe, is that a primitive people, living during a brutal, ugly time (which, however, I would note, would also describe the ghastly direction modern western society has taken ) described God as being angry, or approving, because that was the best they could do with the language and information they had.

So, no, God was not ‘angry’; no, God never had a bad day; and no, God did not ‘approve’ of mass murder.

And as for Revelation, I am so stunned by your statement that I wonder if you weren’t raised a Protestant. What? What? Are you picturing a lean and hungry horseman wandering the earth on his cartoon looking steed and walloping people left and right? What? For pity’s sake, it never occurred to you what was being discussed was the death of a soul, due to sin?

How long have you been a Catholic???

Sorry, don’t mean to sound like I am laughing at you, but come on!

May God flood you with miracles, Annem

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.