Old Testament Law Should Still Apply If the Government would allow it?

Someone told me that he believes the Old Testament Law concerning the stoning to death and the executions should still apply today if our government allowed it. He is a Christian but believes that if someone committed murder, adultery or Sabbath breaking then they should be stoned to death if the country allowed for it. He said if he was in other countrys where someone was about to stone one to death he would support it. He only says things are not like that in many countries because the governments won’t allow it but if they did alot less crime would be committed.

I mentioned that Christ said to the pharisies about the woman who was caught in Adultery “let any man who is without sin cast the first stone” and they all let her go. I didn’t understand his comeback but he also said the verse that Christ spoke about NONE of the letters of the law will pass away.

I really didn’t have anything to say but what do all of you think of this?

[quote=J.W.B.]Someone told me that he believes the Old Testament Law concerning the stoning to death and the executions should still apply today if our government allowed it. He is a Christian but believes that if someone committed murder, adultery or Sabbath breaking then they should be stoned to death if the country allowed for it. He said if he was in other countrys where someone was about to stone one to death he would support it. He only says things are not like that in many countries because the governments won’t allow it but if they did alot less crime would be committed.

I mentioned that Christ said to the pharisies about the woman who was caught in Adultery “let any man who is without sin cast the first stone” and they all let her go. I didn’t understand his comeback but he also said the verse that Christ spoke about NONE of the letters of the law will pass away.

I really didn’t have anything to say but what do all of you think of this?
[/quote]

Try these

And these

and this

• just for a start.

Christian Reconstruction (AKA Theonomy) is a Calvinist movement which favours the enacting into law in the USA of the Law of Moses.

Your friend may have been reading Reconstructionist material. ##

[quote=J.W.B.]I really didn’t have anything to say but what do all of you think of this?
[/quote]

Paul in his letter to the Romans explains that while the Law has not passed away, we have passed away. Literally, although not physically, we have died to the Law and been raised in grace through our baptism.

I think your friend is neglecting some 3,500 years of moral and theological development. I think the ancient Israelites needed the Laws and so on, applied as if they were children, with punishments for breaking them. Under the new covenant we (supposedly) have the laws written on our hearts, so that instead of obeying them out of fear of punishment we obey them naturally from a desire to please God.

• Liberian

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.