Old Testament typology I have never seen before

Didn’t know where else to put this, but I figured it was interesting enough to post.
From Exodus 19(DRV)
10 And he said to him: Go to the people, and sanctify them to day, and to morrow, and let them wash their garments. 11 And let them be ready against the third day; for on the third day the Lord will come down in the sight of all the people, upon Mount Sinai. 12 And thou shalt appoint certain limits to the people round about, and thou shalt say to them: Take heed ye go not up into the mount, and that ye touch not the borders thereof: every one that toucheth the mount, dying he shall die. 13 No hands shall touch him, but he shall be stoned to death, or he shall be shot through with arrows: whether it be beast, or man, he shall not live. When the trumpet shall begin to sound, then let them go up into the mount. 14 And Moses came down from the mount to the people, and sanctified them. And when they had washed their garments, 15 He said to them: Be ready against the third day, and come not near your wives.

Now, where have we heard the term third day before? I believe the resurrection.
And God commands the people not to touch the mountain when God comes.
Remember what Jesus said to Mary Magdalene after the third day?
17 Jesus saith to her: Do not touch me: for I am not yet ascended to my Father.

Typology again, I think. These things which are generally not captured by Protestants are pretty awesome.

Good catch :slight_smile: However, what Jesus said was “Do not cling to Me.”

Be ready against the third day, and come not near your wives.

This pointed my mind to the meaning of Bride and Bridegroom as mystical union of our soul to God. Contemplative prayer is an experience of God reaching down and lifting us up to Himself.

With that in mind the union Mary sought at the tomb could not occur because He had not ‘ascended’ to His Father since only from there were they related in such a way that He could fulfill the union she sought.

If that union was realized at Pentecost then the rest of the passage in the OT begins to apply as we peruse the Gospels between the time of the encounter with Mary at the tomb and His farewell speech before ascending to His Father.

It was a time of purging for Thomas who felt the wounds. Of Peter who experienced the pain of not knowing if he had loved Jesus and what he knew he must do to know it. That time seems overshadowed by a distance between the bride being made spotless and the groom that produced a profound longing for her Beloved.

Thank you Eucharisted for sharing that.

Ite ad loseph, my apologies, I noticed in my subscriptions that I had thanked the wrong person. I couldn’t let that go undone knowing that your find brought such a blessing to me. Thank you for sharing that hidden treasure.

Yours in Christ
Marvin

Douay-Rheims Version seem to disagree.
Actually, I believe the Greek says, “Stop touching Me.” As if she is already doing it.

You are very welcome. It was a pretty random find. I forget how I came across it, actually.

Some more, from Catholic Encyclopedia:
The next incident in the life of Lot is related in connection with the expedition of Chodorlahomor against the five cities “about the Jordan”, including Sodom (xiv, 1 sqq.). The kings of the Pentapolis were defeated, their cities pillaged, and among those carried away by the victorious kings was Lot, who lost all his possessions (xiv, 12). Lot’s predicament was made known to Abraham, who at once chose three hundred and eighteen of his best men and set out in pursuit of the retreating victorious kings. He overtook them in Dan, where he surprised them at night, and routed them completely. Lot and his possessions were rescued by Abraham, who brought all back safely to Sodom (xiv, 13-16; see ABRAHAM).
How many? 318. This random number also happens to be the same number of bishops who attended the Council of Nicaea that created the Creed(the original version).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.