Older Men Can Have a Vocation?

Do any religious communities make provisions for older men? I don't mean men in their 40's, but men in their 60's and older?

Many such men have lost their wives to death, and may well feel a call to a religious life. They have assets (a home, pensions, Medicare, etc), so they would not be a financial drain on a community.

Are there any communities in the Latin Rite that would welcome such men to a religious life?

[quote="The_Old_Medic, post:1, topic:224256"]
Do any religious communities make provisions for older men? I don't mean men in their 40's, but men in their 60's and older?

Many such men have lost their wives to death, and may well feel a call to a religious life. They have assets (a home, pensions, Medicare, etc), so they would not be a financial drain on a community.

Are there any communities in the Latin Rite that would welcome such men to a religious life?

[/quote]

Yes, there are communities that accept late vocations. Not all, mind you. But a few. Mostly on a case by case basis. I don't think they'd want someone limping in with an IV hung off their arm. LOL But someone who is healthy, etc., and that can live the community life might be acceptable.

I think there's a thread on it here: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=48820

Our diocese just ordained a priest in his 60s. He was married, his wife died of cancer, and he has 3 grown children.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.