Oldest Quran, older than Mohammad?!

jihadwatch.org/2015/12/worlds-oldest-quran-supports-claim-that-an-existing-text-was-changed-to-create-the-islamic-holy-bookp

jihadwatch.org/2015/07/oldest-quran-fragments-in-the-world-discovered-in-the-uk-maybe-maybe-not

I was unable to get your link to work.
Is this related?

The blog article is here:
jihadwatch.org/2015/12/worlds-oldest-quran-supports-claim-that-an-existing-text-was-changed-to-create-the-islamic-holy-book

The news article the blog post is commenting about is here
christianpost.com/news/quran-muhammad-oldest-islamic-text-egypt-mosque-biggest-discovery-muslim-world-153293/#!

From the article:

Radiocarbon testing is placing the date of the manuscript somewhere between 568 and 645, which leaves the question up for debate – as the recorded death of Muhammad is in 632.

Not much of a controversy seen from the vantage point of this reader. :shrug:

I don’t see where it is older than Mohammad either.

The range given for carbon dating this artifact is 568 to 645
If the radiocarbon date is is 645, then it isn’t older than Mohammed. If it is 568, it, it predates Mohammed by 2 years, and the mythological account of the genesis of the Koran by some some 42 years.

The dispute the article, or the blog points out is between experts, some who see the Koran as being amended by Mohammed from pre-existing sources, and some disagreeing with these allegations.

The carbon dating range supports either of the claims.

The fact remains that many of the stories of the Koran predate Mohammed, and were first written in apocryphal Christian writings.

Because radiocarbon testing is super accurate. :cool:

The carbon dating was only on the parchment. It is possible the parchment is older than the Quran itself.

Also speaking to the newspaper, Keith Small, a librarian at the Bodleian in Oxford, urged caution as the carbon testing only used parchment rather than the ink from the book. He said: “If the dates apply to the parchment and the ink, and the dates across the entire range apply, then the Quran – or at least portions of it – predates Muhammad, and moves back the years that an Arabic literary culture is in place well into the 500s.”

Small added: “This would radically alter the edifice of Islamic tradition and the history of the rise of Islam in late Near Eastern antiquity would have to be completely revised, somehow accounting for another book of scripture coming into existence 50 to 100 years before, and then also explaining how this was co-opted into what became the entity of Islam by around AD700.”

huffingtonpost.com/entry/fragments-of-ancient-quran-could-be-older-than-muhammad_55e5d58ae4b0c818f61937ce

Hi,
Hyperlink doesn’t work. If Koran older than mohammed, then who did Gabriel talk to?
CURIOUS!
in Christ’s love
Tweedlealice

Salutations
Sharia law comes from the Pentateuch. First case heard by Mohammed was a Jew bringing his unfaithful wife and lover before Mohammed who asked how do your people handle this? The Jew replied," by exiling the guilty and I tear my clothes and cover myself in ashes." Mohammed asked for his rules. That is where he saw Sharia with the penance of stoning and he ordered it done. ( source is Google plus wherever writer got it. I don’t recall that.) I don’t know what decade the Rabbis called a conference, but the one I spoke with stated at that conference they removed Sharia from their books because they were patriarchal rules that were not of God.
in Christ’s love
Tweedlealice

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.