Olympic nightmare: A red tide in the Yellow Sea

Lets just say I am getting some amusement out of this since I am hoping the Olympics will be a complete failure:

Olympic nightmare: A red tide in the Yellow Sea
By Jim Yardley
Monday, June 30, 2008

BEIJING: With less than six weeks before it plays host to the Olympic sailing regatta, the city of Qingdao has mobilized thousands of people and an armada of small boats to clean up an algae bloom that is choking large stretches of the coastline and threatening to impede the Olympic competition.

Local officials have initiated an all-out effort to clean up the algae by mid-July. Media reports estimate that as many as 20,000 people have either volunteered or been ordered to participate in the operation, while 1,000 boats are scooping algae out of the Yellow Sea. The official news agency, Xinhua, reported that algae currently covered a third of the coastal waters designated for the Olympic races.

Full Story

Out of curiosity, why do you wish the Olympics to fail?

[LIST=1]
*]They have been a political farce for a long time
*]China’s human rites abuses make them undeserving
*]A feeling that China will attempt the same thing Hitler did in 36
*]Money which could be used elsewhere
*]May be partially responsible for the current oil crisis[/LIST]I, for one, am boycotting any and all broadcasts of this farce

Okay, I’m interested in your views, could you take them one at a time and explain them to us? Thanks!
(and as a side note, I didn’t find the part where they are being forced to do this at all amusing, but I have a feeling you weren’t referring to that part of it.) Also, when I tried to click on your link for the full story, it wouldn’t open. Do you have another link for it?

The link worked for me:

iht.com/articles/2008/06/30/asia/china.php

I find it amusing that they are having all this trouble so close to the Olympics and I think I have read elsewhere that they are having other problems. Anything that makes a Marxist look bad, I am for.

Well that link works, thanks, I’ll go read it and be back.

Most of them look like they are standing around thinking…“they expect me to do what”??? I hope they don’t have alligators or some other kind of predators in those waters. Next we’ll be reading about how they all got attacked by some sea monster or something.

Oh great, look at this line from that site:
Water quality has been a concern for the sailing events, given that many coastal Chinese cities dump untreated sewage into the sea.
…and they have those people standing around in it.

and this…Much of it was being transported to farms as feed for pigs and other animals, according to news reports.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.