Olympic runner who helped fallen competitor finds inspiration in God [CNA]

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/size340/Olympic_track_Credit_kovop58_Shutterstock_CNA.jpgRio de Janeiro, Brazil, Aug 17, 2016 / 04:49 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- An Olympic runner whose sportsmanship drew headlines this week says that her faith in God helps her to find joy in her sport.

Abbey D’Agostino, who was raised in a Catholic family, spoke to Julia Hanlon’s “Running On Om” podcast, published November 18, 2015. She discussed her fears and anxieties about running, her injuries, and her prayer life.

“I ended up just accepting Jesus and recognizing what that meant in my life,” she told Hanlon. “I felt the peace that comes with acknowledging that I’m not going to run this race with my own strength. And I think that acknowledging those fears before God is what allowed me to feel that peace and I was drawn to it and I wanted to know a God who would work that way in my life.”

“That’s when I started to rekindle more the sheer joy of the sport,” said D’Agostino, who is now 24.

During the Women’s 5,000-meter run on Tuesday, D’Agostino and New Zealand runner Nikki Hamblin collided, both tripping and tumbling to the ground.

After picking herself up, D’Agostino did not immediately continue to run, but instead turned back to help Hamblin. Then, in tremendous pain, D’Agostino was unable to go on, and Hamblin remained with her for a few moments, offering to help her up.

The two finished the race, but D’Agostino was visibly limping for the last five laps. At the finish line she shared a hug with Hamblin, then left the track in a wheelchair.

Although the fall meant that both runners failed to advance to the final race, Olympic judges ruled that they would be allowed to compete in the finals, due to their show of sportsmanship.

However, it was later announced that D’Agostino would be unable to compete, due to a torn ACL.
Full article…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.