OMG! My best friend just asked me to be the Godfather for his newborn son!

My best friend just asked me to be the Godfather for his newborn son! And I immediately said yes. Now I'm freaking out a little, because I don't know what to do! Can someone please explain to me what exactly is involved in becoming/being a Godfather? I'll probably be flying out soon to attend the baptism, so any help would be appreciated! Thank you in advance.

[quote="BadTurkey, post:1, topic:185254"]
My best friend just asked me to be the Godfather for his newborn son! And I immediately said yes. Now I'm freaking out a little, because I don't know what to do! Can someone please explain to me what exactly is involved in becoming/being a Godfather? I'll probably be flying out soon to attend the baptism, so any help would be appreciated! Thank you in advance.

[/quote]

they probably have pre-baptismal classes in your own parish for new parents and prospective godparents, so take them ASAP, in fact you may have to prove that you have taken them, depending on the rules in the parents' parish, so call today. They should answer most of your questions. You should be an adult Catholic, fully initiated (all your sacraments including Confirmation) living in accordance with Catholic teaching and practice, including Church laws on marriage. You may need a letter from your pastor attesting this, so find out from the parents what you do need. Congratulations, a great honor, and a blessing. Plan to be around for the child's first confession, first communion, confirmation and other important points in his life, and also to be another mentor in the faith and to help the parents fulfil their duty to raise and educate him in the Faith.

[quote="puzzleannie, post:2, topic:185254"]
they probably have pre-baptismal classes in your own parish for new parents and prospective godparents, so take them ASAP, in fact you may have to prove that you have taken them, depending on the rules in the parents' parish, so call today. They should answer most of your questions. You should be an adult Catholic, fully initiated (all your sacraments including Confirmation) living in accordance with Catholic teaching and practice, including Church laws on marriage. You may need a letter from your pastor attesting this, so find out from the parents what you do need. Congratulations, a great honor, and a blessing. Plan to be around for the child's first confession, first communion, confirmation and other important points in his life, and also to be another mentor in the faith and to help the parents fulfil their duty to raise and educate him in the Faith.

[/quote]

Yep!

You will be responsible to teach him what the Church teaches, including the laws on marriage.

Thank you for the replies. I’m freaking out for quite a few reasons. I haven’t dealt with kids a lot in the past, and it’s a little scary to be responsible for another human being. That’s why I’m taking it quite seriously and also a little apprehensive since it’s something with which I have no previous experience. I’m honored that my friend has asked this of me, but I also feel a little overwhelmed by the responsibilities associated with it. To add to it, my friend and his family live in a city 1,000 miles from me, so it would be even harder for me to keep up in my responsibilities. Don’t get me wrong - I’m thrilled by this, and I just really want to do this well. It’s funny how nonchalant my friend was about becoming a father, and here I am freaking out about being a Godfather!

Also, what kind of baptism gift should I get for him? Any suggestions?

*Congratulations to you, BT. Maybe think of areas in your own life that you'd like to change, so you can be the best role model for your godchild. *

A religious item for his room like a wall crucifix, a Saint's medal...

you’re right to see this as MUCH MORE than a social title.

these days, one cannot safely assume the parents of the child to be baptized are concerned with the Church’s criteria for proper sponsors at baptism.

here’s the list. see if you meet the criteria and accept the responsibilities of baptismal sponsor:

According to Canon Law # 774 §2, “before all others, parents are bound to form their children, by word and example, in faith and in christian living. The same obligation binds godparents and those who take the place of parents.”

According to Canon Law # 872, “in so far as possible, a person being baptised is to be assigned a sponsor. In the case of an adult baptism, the sponsor’s role is to assist the person in christian initiation. In the case of an infant baptism, the role is together with the parents to present the child for baptism, and to help it to live a christian life befitting the baptised and faithfully to fulfil the duties inherent in baptism.”

According to Canon Law # 873, “one sponsor, male or female, is sufficient; but there may be two, one of each sex.”

According to Canon Law # 874 §1, "to be admitted to undertake the office of sponsor, a person must:

Canon 874 §1.1 “be appointed by the candidate for baptism, or by the parents or whoever stands in their place, or failing these, by the parish priest or the minister; to be appointed the person must be suitable for this role and have the intention of fulfilling it;”

Canon 874 §1.2 “be not less than 16 years of age, unless a different age has been stipulated by the diocesan Bishop, or unless the parish priest or the minister considers that there is a just reason for an exception to be made;”

Canon 874 §1.3 “be a catholic who has been confirmed and has received the blessed Eucharist, and who lives a life of faith which befits the role to be undertaken;”

Canon 874 §1.4 “not labour under a canonical penalty, whether imposed or declared;”

Canon 874 §1.5 “not be either the father or the mother of the person to be baptised.”

According to Canon Law # 874 §2, “a baptised person who belongs to a non-catholic ecclesial community may be admitted only in company with a Catholic sponsor, and then simply as a witness to the baptism.”

Just to make sure we are all on the same page - this child is going to be baptized and raised Catholic, right?

Alright, my friend just informed me that the Baptism is less than a month away. The good thing is that I'll be moving closer to where they are in a few weeks. That means I can drive there instead of flying there. Let's see, I gotta find/buy my Godson a gift. Hmm, that's gonna be a thinker. So what are the things that a Godfather does at a Baptism? I'm excited!

[quote="kage_ar, post:8, topic:185254"]
Just to make sure we are all on the same page - this child is going to be baptized and raised Catholic, right?

[/quote]

LOL for real!!! :rotfl:

It's not really funny, but you and I have been on this forum long enough to know that sadly we do need to ask such questions. :D

~Liza

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.