Omitted Gloria?

The Gloria was omitted at the Mass we attended this past Sunday. Anyone know if a reason why it would be skipped?

@on_the_hill , why not ask the priest ?

I second that. The Gloria can never be omitted or replaced by another hymn on a Sunday outside of advent or lent, or a solemnity or feast. The GIRM could not be clearer about that:

The Gloria

1. The Gloria is a very ancient and venerable hymn in which the Church, gathered together in the Holy Spirit, glorifies and entreats God the Father and the Lamb. The text of this hymn may not be replaced by any other text. The Gloria is intoned by the priest or, if appropriate, by a cantor or by the choir; but it is sung either by everyone together, or by the people alternately with the choir, or by the choir alone. If not sung, it is to be recited either by all together or by two parts of the congregation responding one to the other.

It is sung or said on Sundays outside the Seasons of Advent and Lent, on solemnities and feasts, and at special celebrations of a more solemn character.

General Instruction to the Roman Missal

Emphases mine

You time traveled back into Lent?

A human error?

That’s what I think–human error.

Once I was playing for a Mass, and I was so caught up in the priest’s homily that I totally forgot to play the Sanctus! The nave was silent and the priest looked at me, and then he started singing it acapella, and I was sooooo embarrassed. He was so kind, though, and was happy that I was getting so much out of his homily.

So if the musician forgot to play/sing, the priest might have had so much on his mind that he thought the Gloria had been sung and that he had just missed it, so he went on with the Mass.

It happens.

I am always reminded of the farewell speech a priest gave at my parish. We were his first assignment after ordination and now he was moving on. And as he was thanking people for welcoming him, teaching him, being patient with him, he added, “and I want to thank all of those who didn’t report me to the pastor after my first Mass here when I forgot the Creed.”

I can’t really ask the priest. We were traveling and attended Mass at a church we visit only a couple times per year.

I was just curious if there is some rubric that allows it to be skipped. (outside of the regular Lent, etc).

I was at a Mass once and there was no creed. I asked the priest about it afterwards, and he said he “forgot” it.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.