Omitting the Gloria on a Solemnity, allowed?

I have noticed that for the past three weeks, our priest has been omitting the Gloria from Mass, he also did it today, on the Solemnity of Christ the King. When I asked our music director why Fr. was doing this he said it was optional. Is it? Omitting the Gloria on a solemnity, is that allowed?

[quote="latingirl, post:1, topic:306125"]
I have noticed that for the past three weeks, our priest has been omitting the Gloria from Mass, he also did it today, on the Solemnity of Christ the King. When I asked our music director why Fr. was doing this he said it was optional. Is it? Omitting the Gloria on a solemnity, is that allowed?

[/quote]

no, it's not.

Ask him to come up with a GIRM citation for the supposed optional gloria...

About the Gloria, the GIRM says (in #53):
"It is sung or said on Sundays outside Advent and Lent, and also on Solemnities and Feasts, and at particular celebrations of a more solemn character."

As this is both a Sunday "outside Advent and Lent," and a Solemnity, I don't see how it can be considered optional.

Wasn't last Sunday the last Sunday in Ordinary Time? Doesn't that put us now in Advent? This is my 1st Christmas as a Catholic so if I'm wrong I'm sorry.

[quote="maltmom, post:4, topic:306125"]
Wasn't last Sunday the last Sunday in Ordinary Time? Doesn't that put us now in Advent? This is my 1st Christmas as a Catholic so if I'm wrong I'm sorry.

[/quote]

no, this sunday is. Next Sunday is advent.

[quote="superamazingman, post:5, topic:306125"]
no, this sunday is. Next Sunday is advent.

[/quote]

Thanks, I misunderstood my priest last Sunday.

How could anyone even come up with the notion that the Gloria is optional, especially on a feast like Christ the King? If anything, the music setting for the Gloria should indicate that this is a solemnity.

Perhaps they are trying to shorten the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass for those people who can’t stand to be in church one extra second, even if it means violating the Church's liturgical laws. Even worse, they're doing this on the Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the King of the Universe. People these days…

[quote="maltmom, post:4, topic:306125"]

[/quote]

Maltmom, The Solemnity of Christ the King falls on the Sunday at the beginning of the last week of Ordinary Time in the Church year. But Sundays which are solemnities supersede Sundays in Ordinary Time and are not actually part of Ordinary Time.

So while the Solemnity of Christ the King falls within Ordinary Time it is not actually Ordinary Time itself. But Monday through Saturday following the Solemnity of Christ the King are still Ordinary Time. Last Sunday was the final Sunday of the year that would be considered a Sunday in Ordinary Time although it was not the final Sunday of the Church year.

I'm a bit confused.

According to the forum service which is appropriately set to my time zone, the OP posted this at 1:20 PST (I live in California) today, SATURDAY November 24th, which would make it 4:20 EST (She has her location listed as being in Florida). The Gloria is not required for a DAILY Mass, is it? And while I understand that there exist "Anticipation" Masses on Saturday evening which count as Sunday Masses, do they really start in the early afternoon? Assuming (s)he lives even 10 minutes from her parish, and rushed home right after Mass to post this on CAF, that would have placed her Saturday Anticipation Mass at ~3:00 PM. Is it possible that the poster has been thinking (s)he's attending a Sunday Mass when in reality it has been a Saturday Daily Mass?

[quote="xixxvmcm85, post:10, topic:306125"]
I'm a bit confused.

According to the forum service which is appropriately set to my time zone, the OP posted this at 1:20 PST (I live in California) today, SATURDAY November 24th, which would make it 4:20 EST (She has her location listed as being in Florida). The Gloria is not required for a DAILY Mass, is it? And while I understand that there exist "Anticipation" Masses on Saturday evening which count as Sunday Masses, do they really start in the early afternoon? Assuming (s)he lives even 10 minutes from her parish, and rushed home right after Mass to post this on CAF, that would have placed her Saturday Anticipation Mass at ~3:00 PM. Is it possible that the poster has been thinking (s)he's attending a Sunday Mass when in reality it has been a Saturday Daily Mass?

[/quote]

Unless the OP posted this while at Mass.... :ehh: (I have no idea when the OP was asking questions of the Music Director. She didn't say she asked today.)

[quote="SMHW, post:9, topic:306125"]
Maltmom, The Solemnity of Christ the King falls on the Sunday at the beginning of the last week of Ordinary Time in the Church year. But Sundays which are solemnities supersede Sundays in Ordinary Time and are not actually part of Ordinary Time.

So while the Solemnity of Christ the King falls within Ordinary Time it is not actually Ordinary Time itself. But Monday through Saturday following the Solemnity of Christ the King are still Ordinary Time. Last Sunday was the final Sunday of the year that would be considered a Sunday in Ordinary Time although it was not the final Sunday of the Church year.

[/quote]

Thank you, now it makes sense. When he said it was the last Sunday of Ordinary Time I thought that meant this Sunday was the start of Advent.

I still have so much to learn. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me.

Whatever happened to YES or NO answers?

This has been happening on Sunday Mass. I am in the choir so I get to see what hymns are sung for each Mass ahead of time- and I got to speak to the Music Director. Hope that clears up any confusion.

[quote="xixxvmcm85, post:10, topic:306125"]
I'm a bit confused.

[/quote]

I have noticed while visiting Florida that they often have a 3:30 Saturday Mass for Sunday. I saw this in Orlando and Fort Meyers. (maybe OP posted via a phone right after Mass) When I was on vacation there I read that the 3:30 Mass was during the winter not summer. (I found that interesting because I had just been to an ordination in "Up North" Michigan and read about the reduced schedule for winter there. (or I guess the Added Masses for Summer people)

I do find it odd to not have the Gloria for a Sunday Mass (except of course Advent and Lent) ONCE could be just a mistake. (Especially if they didn't have music)

It could have been recited if there was no music.

[quote="JGMendes4049, post:16, topic:306125"]
It could have been recited if there was no music.

[/quote]

I would expect them to but my point was it might be forgotten. (But not every time but I could see it happening.) When we recite the Gloria at a daily Mass that is a non day of obligation Solemnity or Feast, many of us have to rush to the Mass aids. I can sing along the new Gloria without the words but need help reciting it)

[quote="SMHW, post:11, topic:306125"]
Unless the OP posted this while at Mass.... :ehh: (I have no idea when the OP was asking questions of the Music Director. She didn't say she asked today.)

[/quote]

Ah! Critical thinking failure on my part. Oopsie :D

Update and GOOD NEWS.

We included the Gloria for today's Mass of Christ the King! Kind of caught me by surprise b/c it wasn't on our hymn sheet. Thanks be to God!

[quote="Don_Jackson, post:13, topic:306125"]
Whatever happened to YES or NO answers?

[/quote]

This is the internet, where folks can have their say interrupted. And we better believe every word of it :p

But, no the Gloria isn't to be omitted on a Solemnity.

I wish our pastor would omit the hired cantor who sings it though :cool:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.