Omitting the Profession of Faith

Hi all,

I’m a Catholic Candidate eagerly anticipating being welcomed into the Catholic Church at Easter. As a devout Protestant, I was pretty amazed when I discovered that I could attend daily mass at my local Catholic parish.

Because of the hours of my job (I’m a teacher) I’m only able to attend Mass, at the moment, on days when I’m not in the classroom and have only been able to go a few times so far. I’m looking forward to the summer when I’ll be able to attend daily. Praise the Lord!

My question is about what a priest may omit from the Mass.

At our parish, the daily Mass is significantly truncated and finishes in about 15 minutes. The priest omits the homily, which I understand is allowable (but not recommended) but this morning also omitted saying either of the creeds and the prayers of the faithful.

I was surprised at how quickly the Mass went, compared to a Sunday morning, and I was wondering if this is typical amongst parishes.

Thanks in advance.

Daily Mass usually has one reading, a psalm, then the Gospel. A homily is recommended but not required. Following the homily the prayers of the faithful are said. If the day is a particular feast or solemnity then you will have Mass like a Sunday (Gloria if appropriate, music, 2 readings plus the Gospel, creed). There is a book called the Ordo (Order of Prayer in the Liturgy of the Hours and the Celebration of the Eucharist) for your diocese that lists what is and is not required on a given day.

This link usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/the-mass/general-instruction-of-the-roman-missal/ might help you explore the various ways Mass is said depending on the circumstances.

The Creed is never said at daily Mass in my parish, nor are there Prayers of the Faithful. There is usually a short homily, though. The Mass lasts about 20 minutes, as Holy Communion takes about 5 minutes.

Same here. It’s fine.
God bless you on the journey, and welcome home! There’s a lot about our faith that depends on the situation, and others things that are essential and eternal every time.
It might take a while to get hang of the rules of the road, but it’s always good to ask questions and seek answers. Many folks here are cradle Catholics and have some of the same questions. Education is always wonderful, and in our faith, we can learn something about our faith right up until we take our last breath. :slight_smile:
Again, May God bless you abundantly.

The Creed should be said on solemnities that fall on a weekday.

For solemnities: Gloria + Creed
For feasts: Gloria, no Creed
For memorials and normal weekdays: no Gloria, no Creed.

True, I forgot about the (very few) solemnities and feasts that are kept on a weekday.

Thanks for your responses, all.

I guess I expected the daily Mass to be a bit longer. I didn’t realize how short they were (especially without the homily).

Welcome home,there’s a lot about our faith that depends on money too.As dad said every time our parish priest turned up “what does he want” usually money.forearmed is forwarned

Was this necessary? ^^^^
Can’t we just welcome him without grinding our personal axe?
Wow.

i am totally shriven in the face of perfection,

I’ll be honest, this is the kind of disappointing stuff that drives us Protestants away from conversion. :mad:

Thank you for expressing that; it is something some of us need to hear.

Keep in mind that the Church is like a hospital; we all need healing - or as St. Paul said, we are all sinners.

And as some other wag put it; “Catholics - Look! Here comes everybody!”

I don’t know what it is about Catholics, but as a group we are notorious for being stingy givers; studies have repeatedly shown that we are at the bottom of the heap compared to other churches. What those who make snotty comments about fund raising fail to understand is that if they gave generously on a regular basis, there would be less need for the fund raising.

Like St. Paul said… :shrug:

Anyway, welcome to the Church.

Well, if the parishioners gave as they should, the priest would have no need to ask for money! The parish does not operate on dollars showered down from Heaven!! There are many expenses that need to be paid for. If parishioners put one measly dollar in the collection basket, once per week, the parish will soon run into bankruptcy.

I would say that someone that would ask “what does he want” when the priest comes to their home, probably is not very generous at collection time! Whenever a priest comes to visit, we should be happy to see him, and make him feel welcome.

My husband attends near his work, and its record while he was there was 18 minutes (after work).

The parish I attend over noon hour tends to be 40 minutes, but that also includes the Sacrament being returned to the tabernacle, as well as the Angelus.

We then also pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet, so it’s about 50 minutes total.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.