Omnipotence and Omniscience of G-d

I recently heard a rabbi state that the Talmudic meaning of G-d’s omnipotence and omniscience is not the way we generally define it. He said that omnipotence does NOT mean that G-d can do anything (within His nature) if He wanted to, but rather that He is omnipotent in the sense that He allows mankind to be powerful by making their own decisions, which of course is the mainstream free-will notion present in Judaism, Catholicism, and most denominations of Protestantism. What seems to me not so mainstream is the subtle twist with regard to the meaning of omnipotence, from an all-powerful G-d who can intervene in human affairs and change the course of nature, to One who relinquishes (some) power to mankind. The rabbi attributed a similar meaning to omniscience, based on Talmudic teaching.

Do you think this interesting concept of the omnipotence and omniscience of G-d departs significantly from the traditional Judeo-Christian definition, and, if so, what is your view concerning it?

With due respect to your Rabbi. In the tradition of arguing a pilpul, he is re-defining the concept of Gd to accommodate a personal concept of human nature.
Since the G
d of the Abrahamic people is infinite as well as being omnipotent and omniscient, Gd did not limit Himself when He endowed mankind with Free Will.
There are numerous reports in the Old Testament where G
d has directly interceded with man to attain His own ends. I call to mind any of the Prophets, as examples.
The story of G*d guiding the hand of David when he fought Goliath prooves this.

God is One, and there exists nothing besides Him. This implies that He is omnipotence and omniscience

Personally, I think it’s harder to believe that He isn’t omnipotent and omniscient.

Power-sharing is consistent with omnipotence because without being compelled to do so God chooses to allow us to make our own decisions. Otherwise we would be incapable of love.

I would be most interested in how a Rabbi from Chabad would respond to your OP.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.