On Ash Wednesday, two deacons deliver on the streets of Beverly Hills

Two deacons, one Episcopal, one Catholic, were standing on a street in Beverly Hills, in front of Tiffany’s, across from Louis Vuitton.

It could have been the set-up for a joke — and some passersby thought it might be. Or maybe somebody was filming something? They stood and stared at the men dressed in purple stoles, white surplices and long black cassocks.

“Are you real? For real?” one woman in oversized Chanel sunglasses asked Scott Taylor of All Saints Episcopal Church and Eric Stoltz of the Church of the Good Shepherd.

Read it all: latimes.com/local/westside/la-me-beat-street-ashes-20150219-story.html

http://www.trbimg.com/img-54e5789c/turbine/la-me-beat-streets-ashes-008/750/750x422
(Mel Melcon / Los Angeles Times)
Deacons Scott Taylor, left, and Eric Stoltz walk behind Brazilian tourists Vinicius Magalhaes, left, and Francisco Kronemberger after marking their foreheads with ash.

The Catholic & Episcopal churches are exactly 1 block away from each other and you can walk from either church to that part of Rodeo Drive in about 15 minutes so I would say it is really not a big deal. Maybe they were taking a walk during their lunch break- in between their respective Ash Wednesday service.

How wonderful!~ Thanks for sharing the article.

Mary.

Wow, now that is strange…churches in a place like Beverly Hills, CA…talk about being in the lions den?..I dont think there is another place on earth more materialistic, hedonistic, etc. LOL

On second thought, maybe thats the best place for a church, but I have to wonder how many people take it seriously and not just attend to ‘show off’ for the rest of the community, like soooo many do here at my parish.

I doubt these deacons are showing off. Although I understand what you are saying. I noticed last night many people left after receiving their Ashes. They did not stay until the Mass was finished.

Indeed! Beverly Hills used to be my old stomping grounds during my years as an electrician. I worked on a remodel of All Saints Episcopal many moons ago, and I’ve often attended Mass at Good Shepherd. It is good to see these two ministers working together and “takin’ it to the streets” (to borrow a line from the song). As I recall, both churches offered help for the homeless too on a regular basis. Not as much hedonism in BH as some might think!

Believe it or not, a lot of Old Hollywood was actually Catholic, so it’s only natural to have parishes close to where they live. Church of the Good Shepherd used to be Bob Hope’s parish, if I’m not mistaken.

Good Shepherd was certainly the home parish for Mr. Hope’s cinematic partner Bing Crosby, and many others too. Thanks for posting some good news - we don’t see enough of that these days.

I am struck by the picture that the ashes are perfectly in the shape of a cross. Not so, not so, for everyone. :cool: By the end of the first Mass of the day, they are normally in the shape of an undecipherable blob and thus the constant comments throughout your day…'scuse me, but you have gotten something on your forehead. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, it is Beverly Hills after all, where it is important to look good, from the clothes one wears to the ashes on one’s forehead :D.

My ashes, however, looked more like a smudge, as well!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.