On first Confession

It isn’t for a while (R.C.I.A. caleder thing doesn’t have it till late March or early april) I was just wondering. In confession you Say, “…it has been (x time) scince my last confession…” What would I say when I go in for my first confession?

[quote=Montie Claunch]It isn’t for a while (R.C.I.A. caleder thing doesn’t have it till late March or early april) I was just wondering. In confession you Say, “…it has been (x time) scince my last confession…” What would I say when I go in for my first confession?
[/quote]

If you do it by appointment – which I recommend highly, there is no need to say “This is my first confession.”

Montie,

I agree with Mercygate. When I went through RCIA the program had it set up as part of their schedule for people to meet with the priest. He knew ahead of time that on this day or ngiht he was meeting with an RCIA student who hasn’t ever gone to confession before. You could still work it out, I am sure, if you want anonymity – but at the very least the priest should know that you are new to the sacrament.

I would discourage you from going to your first confession at a normally scheduled confession time – it would be much better to ask your RCIA program director how to go about it. They can help work it out with the priest(s).

God Bless!
VC

[quote=Montie Claunch]It isn’t for a while (R.C.I.A. caleder thing doesn’t have it till late March or early april) I was just wondering. In confession you Say, “…it has been (x time) scince my last confession…” What would I say when I go in for my first confession?
[/quote]

First of all we have to know if you have been Baptized? If not then you do not have to go to confession because a Easter Vigil you will be Baptized and your sins will be cleansed. If it is your first time it would be best that you go and make an appointment to meet 1 on 1 with a Priest. Let him know it is your first and he will walk you thru it. I do remember my first confession. I was :eek: and then I started :crying. Good luck you RCIA class.

Great point On My Way, I had just assumed that Montie had been baptized already. Thank you for pointing this out.

I have just begun RCIA and in the past I never could understand what the point of confession was. To me, why not confess directly to God, etc. Well, this past week my family and I have been going through some extremely hard times and while all has turned out far better than I could have expected or dreamed, I am really ashamed of how I behaved when things were going bad. I was just downright ugly in behavior and when I went to RCIA the other night it hit me how much I wish I was already at that point of being able to confess. It would have been such a relief and I truly feel contrite and ashamed of my behavior. I have prayed about it and acknowledged how wrong I was and even apologized to DH for my negative behavior but confession would have just been a wonderful thing. Now I’m actually looking forward to my first confession. Just one more thing that makes me know the Catholic Church is for me.

Amie

[quote=BeluvdLily]I have just begun RCIA and in the past I never could understand what the point of confession was. To me, why not confess directly to God, etc. Well, this past week my family and I have been going through some extremely hard times and while all has turned out far better than I could have expected or dreamed, I am really ashamed of how I behaved when things were going bad. I was just downright ugly in behavior and when I went to RCIA the other night it hit me how much I wish I was already at that point of being able to confess. It would have been such a relief and I truly feel contrite and ashamed of my behavior. I have prayed about it and acknowledged how wrong I was and even apologized to DH for my negative behavior but confession would have just been a wonderful thing. Now I’m actually looking forward to my first confession. Just one more thing that makes me know the Catholic Church is for me.
Amie
[/quote]

Beautiful sharing. I am so greatful for this sacrament that Christ has given us. Other than Eucharist, it is the only other sacrament where we can come “face to face” with Christ on a regular basis. To hear Christ speaking through the priest “I absolve you of your sins” brings tears of joy to my eyes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.