On the issue of Sacramental "Confession"

As Catholics % Orthodox], we are blessed to be able to advantage of our sins GODS way:

John 20:19-20-23

[19] Now when it was late that same day, the first of the week, and the doors were shut, where the disciples were gathered together, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them: Peace be to you. [20] And when he had said this, he shewed them his hands and his side. The disciples therefore were glad, when they saw the Lord. [21] He said therefore to them again: Peace be to you. As the Father hath sent me, I also send you. [22] When he had said this, he breathed on them; and he said to them: Receive ye the Holy Ghost. [23] Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained

For the sake of discussion

This Incredible gift; this Sacrament POST Vatican II goes by 3 interchangeable names:

CONFESSION

PENANCE

RECONCILIATION

My question is; while being “interchangeable” do they actually have the SAME meanings?

GBY

Patrick

They’re all the same sacrament. The name reflects which aspect of the sacrament someone wants to emphasize:

The confession of sins or the penance to be performed or the reconciliation that takes place.

As the Catechism explains, the sacrament has many names (my emphases):

1423 It is called the sacrament of conversion because it makes sacramentally present Jesus’ call to conversion, the first step in returning to the Father from whom one has strayed by sin.
It is called the sacrament of Penance, since it consecrates the Christian sinner’s personal and ecclesial steps of conversion, penance, and satisfaction.

1424 It is called the sacrament of confession, since the disclosure or confession of sins to a priest is an essential element of this sacrament. In a profound sense it is also a “confession” - acknowledgment and praise - of the holiness of God and of his mercy toward sinful man.
It is called the sacrament of forgiveness, since by the priest’s sacramental absolution God grants the penitent “pardon and peace.”
It is called the sacrament of Reconciliation, because it imparts to the sinner the live of God who reconciles: “Be reconciled to God.” He who lives by God’s merciful love is ready to respond to the Lord’s call: “Go; first be reconciled to your brother.”

My personal preference is to call it Reconciliation since to me, that emphasizes what God and the Church do rather than emphasizing what I do.

My own personal preference is not to call it Reconciliation, since that can mean different things to different people. It makes it possible for some people to get away from the concept of actual sin by the individual, who is personally accountable. I have been in parishes where the sermons seem to equate “sin” with misunderstanding, or miscommunication; sin is described as the kind of thing governments or corporations do, generals or rich people. Not people like you and me.

Yes, I know reconciliation is an element, a little further along; like pardon, and forgiveness. Yes, I know there was a time when teaching about “sin” did not emphasize enough the social and community aspect. But in 2017 the aspect that is far more likely neglected is the need for personal confession of my own, personal sins.

I know they try to make confession more “friendly”, ok up to a point. I suspect young adults stay away from confession not because they fear getting labelled a sinner, but because it was taught only as a sacrament where we feel better about ourselves. Nowadays, the reason for skipping it is “why bother?”

The sacrament of conversion is good too.

In my childhood Confession was the name used.
After returning to the church years later, I was stumped on what times Confession was offered.
Reconcilliation was listed with days and times, but what was that and where had Confession gone?

I had to ask the Diocese secretary eventually. She explained it was now Reconcilliation.
Penance was, and still is the thing the Priest still gives as prayers during Confession, here.
Sometimes penance is a set of the Rosary, sometimes one Our Father or Hail Mary.

Confession, in my mind is only a fraction of the sacrament.
Say your sins, get a pass.
Reconciliation to God is a much deeper process than listing your sins.
:twocents:

In my Archdiocese “confession” is still the standard term for the sacrament.

:smiley: Darn and I hoped we’d have a discussion

THANKS and GBY

THANKS and WELCOME back Home:thumbsup:

GBY

Good point:)

THANKS

GBY

In the East, we also call it the Mystery of Repentance, which is a name that I particularly like.

In speaking, the names are interchangeable to me. Most people I know call it Confession, though.

THANKS, I didn’t know that. I like it too!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.