On the Role of the Apologist

I just made this analogy up. Let’s see how it works:

Scientist = Theologian
Engineer = Clergy
Technician/Customer Support = Apologist

Apologists help people to understand stuff discovered by theologians and preached by the clergy.

Thoughts?

“I’m sorry you’re having trouble with understanding the Church’s doctrines on Mary. Have you tried opening and closing your Bible?” :smiley:

“I need you to go to the spine and tell me which version of the Bible you’re running on.”

To extend this analogy:

The Scientists, nowadays, are often propounding speculative theories that have more to do with “the spirit of the times” than with sound science, and which are not always in keeping with the Deposit of Faith. (Cardinal Kasper, anyone? :D)

The Technicians are sometimes striking out on their own, rather than working intimately with the Engineers.

And the Engineers are sometimes lying down on the job of explaining things clearly, which means that the Technicians’ role and responsibility becomes more onerous.

To be frank, I wish apologists and other “Internet defenders of the faith” would uniformly agree to work in coordination with the Holy See (and the latter would agree to supervise and “police” them). This would avoid a lot of murkiness and misery. :wink:

Salutations,
Well, I agree with you RPR Psych in principle. I don’t always believe every thing the Holy See would like me to believe. There are Bishops and nuns who are prochoice. I will never understand thst.
Take birth control, as a nurse in critical care, I didn’t have to give THE PILL. But, I would. Sometimes it’s for regulating periods, treatment of endometriosis. But, after abortions came out, I’d give anyone a pill so the greater sin of murder would not be committed.
Some things are measured by the guidance of your conscience. That is not a blanket gift the church gives us to do anything you want.
in Christ’s love ,
Tweedlealice
Lord, give us wisdom in our own lives and wisdom while we , in love, try to help those in need.
Thank you, Father for hearing and answering our prayers.

Dear Randy,
I would say “RIGHT ON” Later on RPRPSYCH,
Mentions us being monitored and I forgot to respond, that we are checked.
Thank you for being an apologist. Being a prayer warrior is time consuming. I wrote down the people I wish to pray for everyday which took uo 3 pages. Dear God please bless and help the Ned’s of those I listed in my book. He knows all. After a few days of using individual needs of those people I had doctor’s appts to make and “miles to go before I sleep.” Robert Frost"
in Christ’s love
Tweedlealice :shrug:

The Technician seems to have the hardest job.

The operating system isn’t doing what I want it to. Have you read the manuals?

Evidently no one has told you that the birth control pill causes abortions also.The Church should be the guide of our conscience, not our own emotions. Have you not heard of a “rightly formed conscience”?? Just because someone else chooses to do wrong, doesn’t mean we can!! God Bless, Memaw

Sadly, often Apologist could be defined as book salesman.

I agree!

If only people were more willing to support apologists out of free-will donations, hm? :slight_smile:

Not all prevent implantation of a fertilized egg. Different methods/pills are used for different needs, as well. Even single women who are not sexually active may be on birth control pills to regulate periods or for the symptoms of endometriosis. If these are used then it is a lesser of two evils for married women. Catholic women should always talk to their priest, in consultation with their doctor, about what is all right for them to use.

As for your comparisons, Randy, I had to chuckle when I read them. Certainly the various roles/duties of the ordained and lay have been described in times past–usually as shepherds and their dogs (I’ll let others guess which persons belong in which category :p).

And of course in each case there are people who are faithfully doing what they should be doing and those who aren’t–that’s due to our fallen human nature, so I’m never alarmed when I learn of someone’s failing(s) nor scandalized. I merely pray “There but for the grace of God go I.”

And a agree that apologetics apostolates ought to have some oversight. Not directly by the Vatican, but by our bishops, although someone with an eye on apologetics in the Holy See wouldn’t be a bad idea. CA has such oversight, I believe. Those that don’t, should be avoided, IMHO since they can be nothing more than vehicles for personal opinion rather than proper defenses of the faith.

I guess I’d extend the Apologist analogy.

Within that group there are some out there who really know what they are doing. They are the “Technician/Customer Support / Help Desk” professionals.

Then there is that call center where there is a group of folks that have all the manuals and are called “Technical Support”…but…

And then there are other apologists that are more like “Power Users” and “Experienced Users” who happen to sit in the office next to you.

And then there are those of us who can at least find the on / off switch…

Chuck

Well, this is a tricky thing. Apologists are generally laymen with families to support, and many of them work full-time on apologetics. We live in the world of the open market, and there’s nothing wrong with paying money for a book as long as the product is worthy. The labourer is worthy of his hire. :slight_smile:

However, when “apologists” begin pandering to certain subdivisions of the Catholic family, or embracing controversial viewpoints to stir up sales and notoriety (not unlike the liberal media), or publish material that could cause scandal, or use misleading headlines and phrases to generate “clickbait” for their websites and videos - then, Rome, we have a problem. Generally, such material (whether liberal, conservative, “traditional” or just plain wacky) is quite easy to identify and ignore. :stuck_out_tongue:

Excellent post. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.