On the use of artificial sweeteners

Excepting those who are diabetic, I presume, as gluttony does not figure into it,

It’s like smoking cigarettes. If it is later found that there is a majority of persons who use a certain artificial sweetener who get cancer or some other deadly disease then it might become a moral issue. Until then, we use our best judgement. It appears certain artificial sweeteners (such as Splenda and Stevia) pose less potential threat to health than others such a NutraSweet or Sweet n Low.

Delicious food promotes gluttony too. Should that be a sin? :confused:

I would say yes - to eat delicious food enhanced by artificial flavoring but with no nutritional value would be gluttony as you are frustrating the primary purpose of eating which is to promote one’s well-being. However, to eat delicious natural food which does have nutritional value would not be a sin as long as it is done in moderation - Eating good nutritious food in moderation promotes good health and is therefore advisable

So, by your standards, the box of artisan chocolates given to me by a priest friend for my birthday not only was sinful for me to eat, but he committed a sin by giving them to me? :shrug:

Puh-lease!! :rolleyes::ehh::rolleyes:

Please name one food that has no nutritional value at all.

artificial sweetener.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of someone just eating packets of Sweet’n’Low (eugh).

Water.

There are hard candies with artificial sweetener and artificial coloring. There are sodas with artificial sweetener and artificial coloring and little else except water. I suppose you could argue that the soda has value since it contains water and the body needs liquids, but plain water is a lot more healthful to drink.

So water has no nutritional value? Without it nothing can be hydrolized.

There are cases where water is not the most healthful drink when choosing between artificially sweetened and plain water. After a workout of medium intensity a powerade zero that is artificially sweetened is a better option than water alone.

Artificial sweeteners are great for those who struggle with obesity. They can replace many fattening calories.

Contrary to popular belief, artificial sweeteners themselves do provide calories. They are just so low and the company producing them keeps the serving size small enough that they stay under .5 calories per serving. By law, they can round down to 0.

I don’t see a concern. The proper end of food is to be eaten. If flavoring helps you eat that food (whether stevia or vanilla extract or cumin powder), I don’t see a moral qualm.

Using cumin to get high, on the other hand (is that even possible?) would be in moral error.

Unless you are drinking distilled water, even plain water has minerals and dissolved salts which have nutritional value.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.