How can Mary - and rightful devotion to Mary - not be integral to all Catholic evangelization?
Mary is mother and model of the Church.
She was chosen, embraced, graced by God for her part in salvation even before the Holy Spirit conceived Christ the Son within her. The angel of God said to her, “Hail, (or Rejoice!) kecharitôménê, the Lord is with you.” The angel did not call her “Mary” - the angel addressed her by her name written in heaven, (in Greek) “kecharitôménê” - that is,“‘one having been fully transformed by God’s grace." Then he said, "the Lord is with you.”
She is mother of Christ, the Head of the Church, and the Church is His Body. Thus:
- The Mother of the Head is necessarily the mother of His Body. Thus: Mary is mother of the Church.
- She is mother of the Church because God gave her to the Church, and the Church to her, from His Cross: to Mary He said, “Behold your son”; to the Beloved Disciple, He said, “Behold your mother.” And from that hour, he took her into his own.
She is model of the Church, the model disciple.
- She gave herself into the will of the Father: “Let it be to me according to your word.” (Lk 1:38)
- Even though she did not (yet) understand all that He said and did: She kept all in her heart.; she taught, “Do whatever He tells you.” (cf. Lk 2:19, 51; Jn 2:5)
- All disciples are called to be “mother” for Him and His Body: “Whoever does the will of God is my brother, and sister, and mother.” (Mk 3:35)
On this Feast of the Annunciation - the Announcement to Mary of her sublime vocation from God, and His holy, virginal conception within her:
- May all who profess love and obedience to Christ, also profess love and honor for His mother.
- May all the beloved in His Church, proclaim Mary as His mother and as their mother in Him.
- May all disciples of Christ embrace Mary as mother and model of His Church.