On what grounds does Islam reject the majority of the Old Testament

That is the question

:hmmm:

:shrug:

Ultimately on the grounds that Islam is a different religion than Judaism, just as Christianity is. New religions must reject something from older religions; otherwise there would be no point in forming a new religion. I’ll leave the technical reasons for rejection to those more knowledgeable about the teachings of Islam.

Sounds too simplistic without back up.

MJ

I think the catholic faith doesn’t reject the Jewish faith but fulfills it

Islam rejects the accuracy of both the Old and New Testaments, whole borrowing heavily from both of them. Why? We cannot ask Mohammed, we can only speculate.

Jesus agrees with you. :smiley:

MJ

:thumbsup:

MJ

He was just another cafeteria monotheist. :wink:

They reject it, by the way, they reject the New Testament as well, because they claim it has been corrupted, BUT they have no problem claiming that their self proclaimed prophet of Arabia is mentioned in the Old Testament.

And even that’s a huge stretch.

Oddly enough the Qur’an says Allah gave David the Psalms, Moses the Torah, Jesus the Gospel, etc. And has passages like this:

Say: “Shall I seek for judge other than God? - when He it is Who hath sent unto you the Book, explained in detail.” They know full well, to whom We have given the Book, that it hath been sent down from thy Lord in truth. Never be then of those who doubt. The word of thy Lord doth find its fulfilment in truth and in justice: None can change His words: for He is the one who heareth and knoweth all. S. 6:114-115

And recite (and teach) what has been revealed to thee of the Book of thy Lord: none can change His Words, and none wilt thou find as a refuge other than Him. S. 18:27

Apparently none can change Allah’s words except everyone.

On the grounds that if it were to be accepted islam would be false.

There is one particular passage in the OT that muslims use and have used since mohammed himself to refute the OT I forgot the verse though they use the same against Christians since we accept and use the OT as well. I once went to an Islamic forum called islamic board. They would hit me upside the head with that verse but it didn’t phase me. Sadly my zeal for the catholic faith ultimately got me banned sadly for posting contrary to islam which violated forum rules.The sad part was I rather enjoyed the forum. I mainly stayed within and posted in the section for non muslims dialogue but it seems they only tolerated me until I couldn’t be converted to islam. It seems they didn’t like St. John of Damascus. Who refuted islam during the time of its rise. When last I checked my ban is forever from that site.

The passage you’re thinking about is Deuteronomy 18:18 where it states that God will raise a prophet like Moses…

Muslims believe that this passage is speaking about their self proclaimed prophet of Arabia.

If you really think about it, why would God wait 3000+ years “to raise a prophet like Moses” and in Arabia no less. Nonsense!

They also quote a small part from Solomon and another small part from Isaiah, claiming that it is pointing to their prophet.

But then again, don’t forget that Allah sent 124,000 prophets to spread his message, but apparently none of them were able to set the peoples straight, so Allah had to send Muhammad to correct Allah’s message.

That’s why he is called the “seal of the prophets” and that no other prophet will come.

The Jewish interpretation is that the passage in Deuteronomy is uttered to console the Jewish people by assuring them they would have a prophet for guidance after Moses’ imminent departure. That prophet would be forthcoming in the immediate future. A complementary interpretation is that the institution of prophecy itself would continue for the benefit of the people. The passage speaks neither of a prophet in the distant future, as some Islamic scholars believe, nor of the coming of the Messiah, as some Christian scholars maintain.

The Qur’an appears to acknowledge the Torah and Wisdom literature:

“…and [remember] when I taught you writing and wisdom and the Torah and the Gospel;…”

~ Surih 5:110

The “wisdom” above refers likely to

the biblical books of Job, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, Wisdom of Solomon, and Ecclesiasticus collectively.

And Psalms or Zabur are also mentioned:

“And We have already written in the book [of Psalms] after the [previous] mention that the land [of Paradise] is inherited by My righteous servants.”

Surih 21:105

In my experience, when you ask the muslims how Mohammed is in the bible but the bible is corrupt, they say that not all of it is corrupt, because Mohammed is in it. :confused:

Apparently God was able to save a portion of the Bible from corruption (the parts supposedly with Muhammad in them) but unable to save it all (i.e. everything that would invalidate Muhammad and Islam). :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.