Once Saved, Always Saved

Hi everyone. How does one refute the false doctrine of once saved, always saved? :confused:

Mt 24:13 says that we must “persevere to the end.” If we can’t lose salvation, what else could this mean?

In 2 Tim 2:12 St. Paul tells us that we must hold out until the end if we want to reign with Christ.

In Rom 11:22, Christians are warned that they will be cut off if they don’t persevere in the kindness of God.

Hebrews 6:4-6 describes people who are sharers in the Holy Spirit (IE - born-again Christians) but then fall away from God.

Then of course you have St. Paul’s advice to “work out your salvation with fear and trembling” (Phil 2:12). Then too you have St. Paul saying, “I drive my body and train it, for fear that, after having preached to others, I myself should be disqualified” (1 Cor 9:27).

I was involved in a rather lengthy discussion on this awhile back.
Here is the Thread

Hope this helps
James

As a correllary to this question of OSAS:

Do people who believe in OSAS believe that Jesus could sin?

Peace
James

I always just think… if St. Paul wasn’t sure of his salvation how could we be so arrogant to think we could know for sure… St. Paul hung out with jesus quite a bit… I think he would have caught on to OSAS if it were true.:wink:

SD

Matthew 7:21 - Not everyone who professes to be a believer will be saved
Matthew 24:13 - Those who persevere to the end will be saved.
Romans 11:22 - It is possible to be cut off after becoming a Christian.
Phil 2:12 - We must work out our salvation in fear and trembling.
Galatians 5:4 - If you are separated from Christ, you will be cut off.
Hebrews 6:4-6 - Those with the Holy Spirit who fall away.
1 Cor 9:27 - Paul realizes the possibility of not being saved if he falls into sin.

Logic 101: Because man is made free, and we continue to be free after becoming believers, we can still reject Christ and lose the reward of our faith, eternal life. However, we can have the full hope of the assurance of eternal life as the Scriptures teach. So great is our hope that we do not have to be in constant fear that we will lose our salvation, however we are still called to work out our salvation in “fear and trembling” while trusting in the Lord’s goodness and mercy.

Taken from here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.