Once we are resurected and judged- can we still rebel against God?

How come Satan, despite seeing Him in all splendour, supposedly did? Surely one cannot be unsatisfied after Judgement?

Would it be possible to desire more than Him? (If He’s Omnipotent and perfect then surely not!)

Satan and the other angels had not yet entered into the beatific vision at the time of their rebellion.

No.

Final answer.

:thumbsup:

No. Period.

Once we have been resurrected and judged, there are two possibilities. One is that, at the point of death, the person desired the self above God (this is what unrepentant mortal sin actually is). In this case, the person has chosen Hell. The people and fallen angels in Hell are in eternal rebellion against God. They want nothing to do with God, and, in essence, have made themselves into their own gods. God does not desire this for anyone, but He will not counteract an individual’s own will.

The second option is that the person desired God above all else. In this case, the person will be allowed into Heaven (and I say “allowed” because the gates of Heaven are only open due to Divine Mercy; according to divine justice, we all deserve Hell), though most may have to be purified of any sinful attachments first (which is what Purgatory is). Once a person is in Heaven, that person would not desire to be anywhere else.

The devil did not have to sin. He knew the consequences of what one sin would do to him yet he went ahead and sinned anyway. Angels were created not to sin. Men and women were created in order to repent if they do sinned. There is quite a difference between the judgment of Angels and the judgment of man. Angels are not made to change their mind. They must accept their vocation immediately. With men and women the possibility for them to change their minds exists as long as they live in this world. When men and women die so too are the possibilities to change. It is at your death that signifies your place with God. You cannot change your mind after death so that if you are in a heavenly state at the General Resurrection you are never going to rebel. Your vocation has already been determined. Angels only had one choice. God awaits for their yes as He does for our yes. The only difference is than in men and women you have this life to do so meaning you have possibility more time before you would give any definite answer.

Satan was (is) a very proud person. He’s so full of himself that he believes that he should be worshiped as a god, and even believes that he can overcome the true God. With all his pride, he rebelled against God (Isaiah 14:12-15, Ezekiel 28:11-19).

Satan aside, I don’t believe the Bible mentions another angel who decided to rebel against God in the same way Satan did. Any other angels who rebelled against God were joining themselves into Satan’s camp, but I don’t think there was another rebellion leader like Satan was/is. It could be that Satan is just a special case among the angels, and nobody else in their right mind would even think of such a thing while in God’s presence.

For those of us who survive the Judgment and enter into heaven, we’ve pretty much already made up our minds as to which side we’re on. After surviving all the temptations of life and warding off evil as best we can while on Earth (and not in God’s immediate presence), it would be a little odd for a person to suddenly decide that they hate God and rebel after they got into heaven.

In conclusion, I would say that no, we probably won’t be able to rebel against God after the Judgment. Satan and his following are just a temporary inconvenience, and after they’re out of the picture we can all continue in blissful paradise.

Given the way that we are now, yes, it would be quite possible. We are engineered to seek new things, and to ignore or even hate routine things.

However, I do not expect that we could survive eternity being the way that we are now. As a result, I suspect that people in Heaven may operate differently, especially with respect to time, and that the adjustment to an atemporal consciousness would remove the process of becoming anything, including dissatisfied.

I once heard a good argument:

Mankind always has free will, and in theory one could sin in Heaven. However, being in the presence of God and having full knowledge of the pain and consequences that sin would cause God and all of the other saints that you love, you would not. Basically, the barrier to sin is so high that you would never commit it since you see sin for what it is, without any of the deadly “sugar coating” that tempts us now.

Conversely, in Hell a sould could, in theory do something good. However, having chosen to love themselves above all else and full of hate, you would not. There is no love left within you to do good with.

Not sure if this is true or not, but I certainly like the idea!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.