one baptism

There is one coming who is greater than me and he will baptise you with fire and the Holy
Spirit. Mt cpt. 3

Unless you are baptised with water and the Holy Spirit, you will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

Which one relates to " one baptism for forgiveness of sins".

That’s impossible to say without the context we don’t know what the context of one baptism for forgiveness of sins" is.

[quote="teeboy, post:1, topic:297639"]
There is one coming who is greater than me and he will baptise you with fire and the Holy
Spirit. Mt cpt. 3

Unless you are baptised with water and the Holy Spirit, you will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

Which one relates to " one baptism for forgiveness of sins".

[/quote]

The One Baptism that truly cleanses and purifys is thru the work of the Holy Spirit.

A Quaker statement..."A man can enter the waters of baptism a dry sinner, and leave a wet sinner, but no one baptized in the cleansing fire of the Holy Spirit can remain unclean."

It is the Baptism after temporal punishment.

This is my understanding.

Acts 2:
38: And Peter said to them, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Acts 22:
16: And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized, and
wash away your sins
, calling on his name.
He isn’t talking here about the Holy Spirit but what Jesus said You must be baptized

1 Peter 3:

who had once been disobedient while God patiently waited in the days of Noah during the building of the ark, in which a few persons, eight in all, were saved through water.

This prefigured baptism, which saves you now. It is not a removal of dirt from the body but an appeal to God for a clear conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

It is baptism prefigured by the saving of Noah with water that forgive sins and saves us now.

Yes. I am trying to distinguish sorrow for sin years after infant baptism or sacrament of Baptism.

It seems that one baptism as recited in Nicean Creed is related to sorrow for sin as oppossed to initial sacramental baptism

[quote="teeboy, post:6, topic:297639"]
Yes. I am trying to distinguish sorrow for sin years after infant baptism or sacrament of Baptism.

It seems that one baptism as recited in Nicean Creed is related to sorrow for sin as oppossed to initial sacramental baptism

[/quote]

We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.

I do not see it being related to sorrow for sin.

Catholic Catechism states

1213 Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit (vitae spiritualis ianua),4 and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission: "Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water in the word."
1279 The fruit of Baptism, or baptismal grace, is a rich reality that includes forgiveness of original sin and all personal sins, birth into the new life by which man becomes an adoptive son of the Father, a member of Christ and a temple of the Holy Spirit. By this very fact the person baptized is incorporated into the Church, the Body of Christ, and made a sharer in the priesthood of Christ.

1280 Baptism imprints on the soul an indelible spiritual sign, the character, which consecrates the baptized person for Christian worship. Because of the character Baptism cannot be repeated (cf. DS 1609 and DS 1624).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.