One flock and one, shepherd

How is this interpreted by the Catholic Church? Does this mean the Pope will be the leader of all people before the end of the world?

Yes it also implies the unity of the Church. St Paul also said in Ephesians ‘one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of us all’.

No.

It means that those who seek Jesus would abide in Him:

15 If you love me, keep my commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he shall give you another Paraclete, that he may abide with you for ever. 17 The spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, nor knoweth him: but you shall know him; because he shall abide with you, and shall be in you. 18 I will not leave you orphans, I will come to you. 19 Yet a little while: and the world seeth me no more. But you see me: because I live, and you shall live. 20 In that day you shall know, that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. 21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them; he it is that loveth me. And he that loveth me, shall be loved of my Father: and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. (St. John 14)

So when the Jews and the Gentiles put aside their own validations (preconceptions, beliefs, goals, behavior, will, self) and embrace Christ they become one Fold in Christ Jesus:

22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise, by the faith of Jesus Christ, might be given to them that believe. 23 But before the faith came, we were kept under the law shut up, unto that faith which was to be revealed. 24 Wherefore the law was our pedagogue in Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after the faith is come, we are no longer under a pedagogue. 26 For you are all the children of God by faith, in Christ Jesus. 27 For as many of you as have been baptized in Christ, have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek: there is neither bond nor free: there is neither male nor female. For you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if you be Christ’s, then are you the seed of Abraham, heirs according to the promise. (Galatians 3)

Maran atha!

Angel

He will be the leader of all who are on the side of God.

From the Haydock Bible Commentary:

Verse 4.
In one hope of your vocation. The three great reasons that we have to love one another are contained in this verse, because we have but one body, of
which Christ is the head. We are all animated by the same spirit,
viz. the Holy Ghost, who is given to us all, and we all live in the
same hope of eternal happiness. Calmet.
Verse 5.
This contains some more reasons why Christians should love one another.
We are all the servants of the same God, believe the same mysteries,
and receive the same sacraments, whoever may be the dispenser of them. —
One faith. As rebellion is the bane of commonwealths and
kingdoms, and peace and concord the preservation of the same; so is
schism, and diversity of faith or fellowship in the service of God,
the calamity of the Church: and peace, unity, and uniformity, the
special blessing of God therein. S. Cyprian, in his book on the
unity of the Church, writeth thus: “One Church, for one is my
dove. This unity of the Church, he that holdeth not, doth he think
he holdeth the faith? He that withstandeth or resisteth the Church,
he that resisteth Peter’s chair, upon which the Church was built,
doth he trust that he is in the Church?” And again, Ep. xl.
“There is one God, and one Christ, and one Church, and one
chair, by our Lord’s voice founded upon Peter. To set up another
altar, or to constitute another priesthood, besides the one altar and
the one priesthood, is impossible. Whosever gathereth elsewhere
scattereth. It is adulterous, it is impious, it is sacrilegious,
whatsoever is instituted by man to the breach of God’s disposition.
Get ye far from such men: they are blind, and leaders of the blind.”
S. Hilary also applies this text against the Arians thus: “Perilous
and miserable it is that there are now among them as many faiths as
wills, and as many doctrines as manners; whilst modes of faith are
written as men will, or as they will, so are understood. Whereas the
one truth teaches there is but one God, one Lord, one baptism, and
also one faith: hence whilst more faiths are made, they begin by
falling from that which is the only faith, and end in having no faith
at all.” S. Hilary, l. ad Constantium Augustum.

No, it means that there is one Church and one Shepherd, who is Jesus. His steward (vicar) here on earth is the Pope, who is our shepherd until Jesus comes again.

I am the good shepherd, and I know mine and mine know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I will lay down my life for the sheep.

Jesus is our Shepherd.

I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. These also I must lead, and they will hear my voice, and there will be one flock, one shepherd.

Jesus’ originally preached to the Jews. After His Resurrection, He commissioned the Apostles to take the Gospel to all people. When the Gentiles hear the Good News, they also come and join the One Church.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.