One-hit wonders

Any favorite one-hit wonders out there?

I just heard “Major Tom” by Peter Schilling - I remember loving that one as a kid, being into space and astronauts and stuff. I guess I didn’t notice that it was sad. It was not until years later that I associated it with the David Bowie “Space Oddity”. I don’t know if Schilling is really a one-hit wonder, he’s probably big in Germany, but that’s the only thing I remember from him.

[quote="Bobby_Jim, post:1, topic:243559"]
Any favorite one-hit wonders out there?

I just heard "Major Tom" by Peter Schilling - I remember loving that one as a kid, being into space and astronauts and stuff. I guess I didn't notice that it was sad. It was not until years later that I associated it with the David Bowie "Space Oddity". I don't know if Schilling is really a one-hit wonder, he's probably big in Germany, but that's the only thing I remember from him.

[/quote]

Until this moment when I looked both up on YouTube I didn't realize they were different songs. Shows you how much I know about music.

There are some who suggest the David Bowie song was about heroin, which I’m not sure I agree with. I’m not sure what that makes the Peter Schilling one about. I looked him up on wikipedia; apparently he was known for songs about space and aliens and stuff, so maybe we take that one at face value.

"She Blinded Me With Science" by Thomas Dolby
Science!
God I love the 80's.

Also from the world of 80s German-English crossovers - I liked “99 Red Balloons”…

The whole ‘one-hit wonder’ thing makes no sense to me. One hit to who? U.S. listeners? Some of the bands I see listed as one-hit wonders (like Madness or Mighty Mighty Bosstones) are still quite popular across the pond in England. Neither is someone like Gary Numan (“Cars”), who played Coachella music festival a year or two ago and shows up on the new Battles CD that came out last week. OTOH, something like that new wave song “Johnny, Are You Queer, Boy?,” really does qualify as One Hit Wonder since I’m pretty sure Josie Cotten isn’t around around anymore.

yeah I remember watching one of these "one hit wonder" shows on VH1 and thinking I remember several songs from many of these artists. I think it is defined when you have a single song that everyone remembers even though an artist might have a much longer career and many albums. Or even if they only had a couple of hits, but one was a monster hit. Kind of like Vanilla Ice - does anybody remember his remake of "Play That Funky Music White Boy"? It actually got a lot of airplay once upon a time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.