One in four Americans 'do not know the Earth circles the Sun'

Over a quarter of Americans do not know the Earth circles the Sun, according to a new survey

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10640518/One-in-four-Americans-do-not-know-the-Earth-circles-the-Sun.html

I think there was someone on CAF that believed the sun went around the earth.

Well, there are some folks around here who think the world is 6000 years old so. . . . :shrug:

Given the findings in the survey, they’re most likely from Europe (lowest reported score on knowing that the Earth goes around the Sun).

The Principle Movie ought to be interesting as well as the discussions.

so 2200 people questioned somehow represent what American’s as a whole know. uh huh sure.

Actually the Earth ellipses around the sun. So I wouldn’t sweat that quarter. :slight_smile:

And the center of Mass is not the center of the sun.

:rotfl:

I watch the sun go around the earth every day. It comes up behind those bushes and goes down behind that pond, I presume it travels under the dirt to get back to the bushes again by morning. Its all in your frame of reference and I find my rocking chair on my porch a most favorable reference point. :slight_smile:

As to the NSF study. I think they are engaging in bad polling and more than likely overstating things to the government as they ask for more funding. Not that I fault them, whatever works. :shrug:

Well, c’mon… I think it’s pretty understandable, really… If you look outside, on a day when the moon is in the sky, at the same time the sun is, they look like they’re the same size.

To my mind, this is an example of the ~ABSOLUTE PERFECTION~ of God’s Will for us as Human Beings.

However… people should learn a little bit more Science (Also God’s Creation) so they have the best perspective they can have, instead of sitting back on their laurels, so to speak :wink:

Kyrie Eleison

Sean

Good one.

This should be changed to “1 in 4 Americans Don’t Believe That the Earth Travels Around the Sun”, because I’m sure every one of those people questioned was taught that the Earth rotates around the Sun in school, but they just rejected it for whatever reason, just like some people reject evolution and the Big Bang even though they were taught it in detail in middle school.

Also, how does 2,200 people represent all of the U.S.? :confused:

They didn’t conduct the poll, but simply gathered the results of numerous polls conducted by other organizations. In the case of the Sun/Earth question, it was asked as part of the General Social Survey which is conducted by the National Opinion Research Center at the University of Chicago.
nsf.gov/statistics/seind14/content/chapter-7/c07.pdf

(see Fig 7-8)

The NSF paper does point out, however, that how a question is framed will affect the results. Quoting from the NSF paper:

*A survey experiment showed that 48% of respondents said they thought it was true that “human beings, as we know them today, developed from earlier species of animals,” but 72% gave this response when the same statement was prefaced by “according to the theory of evolution.” Similarly, 39% of respondents said that “the universe began with a huge explosion,” but 60% gave this response when the statement was prefaced by “according to astronomers"
nsf.gov/statistics/seind14/content/chapter-7/c07.pdf

The actual question which was asked was: “Does the Earth go around the Sun, or does the Sun go around the Earth?”

I would not be surprised if a fair number of respondents were simply confused by the question.

Yeah, the correct answer to that question would be “Neither.”

The 1/4 must be teenagers. They think everything revolves around them. :stuck_out_tongue:

LOL!

And what percentage of Americans believe that an unborn child is just a “fetus” and a “choice”?

Good thing they didn’t ask them whether the Earth revolves around Mars or vice versa. Of course you could give them a hint and tell them there is gravitational force between the two planets and unless there is some kind of opposing force (like centripetal) the two planets would collide. But that would give it away. :smiley:

lol!
That was awesome.
:thumbsup:

I’m taking that one to facebook :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.