One more Mormon question

I tend to lose patience with the self-styled fundementalist types who have their own particular interpretation of Scripture and claim that Catholics and other demoninations are not Christians because they do not believe “their way” as if they and only they have a lock on the Truth.

Now, as I’m sure most of you know, the Catholic Church does not recognize Mormons as being Christians even though they are the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints." Well, isn’t the Catholic Church just as guilty as the sort of self-styled fundementalist people I describe above? Mormons don’t believe what Catholics believe so they are persona non grata in the world of Christianity.

My personal opinion is that the word “Christian” is (or should be) a generic term for anyone who follows the teachings of Jesus Christ regardless of a particular denomination.

:shrug:

We should always treat people with charity and love. And the Mormons should be no exception. There are many things about the Mormon traditions that align with ours - their reverence for life, the beauty of the family, giving alms, fasting and living a life in according to the god that they profess.

And on the surface, indeed, they certainly profess a Jesus Christ, son of God, a Trinitarian doctrine, Jesus as Lord, Messiah and King. However, it is a different Jesus.
Simply believing in someone named Jesus will not solve the issue for Mormons because — as the apostle Paul warns in 2 Corinthians 11:4 — there are some who preach a different Jesus. For example, while the Bible teaches that Jesus has always existed as God (John 1:1), Mormons see Jesus as someone who worked His way up to godhood. In fact, to Mormons, Jesus is merely one in purpose with God the Father; whereas the Bible declares that the Father and the Son are also one in essence (cf. Phil. 2:6) — that they are both equally God and members of the Holy Trinity. They to teach that Jesus was the “spirit child” of a heavenly father and mother, and that he other heavenly spirit brothers, including Lucifer (Satan) They also teach the Mormon heavenly father was once a man of flesh who “became” God, and that it is within the potential of all obedient Mormons to also become a god like Jesus and the Heavenly father, having spirit children with their eternal wives.

There is lots more. From the Journal of Discourses, you can find that Jesus was married to three women - two of them sisters (Mary and Martha) and had children.

Jesus, tells us in Scripture: “Beware of false prophets who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. Not everyone who says to me “Lord, Lord” shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of the Father in heaven.”

I will not deny that Mormons are good people, loving and charitable. But, I do not agree in any way that they are Christian.

Bless you.

No no, Christianity is an Abrahamic Faith, professing the God of Abraham and that this God is the only God. Mormons do not believe this AT ALL. Christianity also believes that God is a Triune Being, Trinity, Mormonism denies that. Christianity makes the claim that God has always been God, infinite and eternal, well Mormons deny that as well. Christians believe that Jesus has always been God also, but the Mormons deny the Deity of Jesus Christ, his eternal existence, and instead teach that he had to achieve Goddhood.

Mormonism believes that God is not eternal, neither is he the only God, but there are an infinite number of gods going off into eternity. In LDS doctrine, God is a finite being, an exalted man, whom we can become equal too. Mormons deny that Christ’s blood is enough to save the soul, and that one must WORK to salvation (Jesus is essentially a sin janitor, nothing more).

The Mormons also don’t believe in the Bible, not even their own. No I’m not talking about the Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants, or even the Pearl of Great Price, but their Joseph Smith Translation, which is really more of a rewriting, many verses radically altered, being not just a variant translation, but totally different, many chapters added, so it isn’t even the same Holy Bible as Christians have.

The Mormon Doctrine isn’t even consistent: The Book of Mormon talks about the Trinity, but in a *Modalistic *sense, where there is only One Person of God, so no Trinity actually, and that God portrays the Father, Son, & Holy Spirit. LATER THOUGH, Joseph Smith taught that Father, Son, & Holy Spirit are all separate gods, that they had to achieve Godhood, and that we can become Gods ourselves.

And !!!P[size=5]LEASE!!![/size] tell me you are not being fooled by the
phrase “Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints,” that does not
make them Christian

If you really knew Mormonism, you
would understand how they are not
Christian, not one bit.

The question of them not being Christian has more to do with they don’t believe rather than what they do believe.

Jesus said that He would found a Church and that the gates of hell would not prevail. If this is believed, then ONE of the churches HAS to be right, has to have the fullness of faith. We can’t assume that ‘we are all in the same league, just playing on different teams.’ We must discern which is Jesus’ true church as His laws/rules can’t be different, confused or just suggestions. Each demonination has a slightly different ‘spin’ and only one can be 100 % right. For me, I made my choice and came Home.

I understand your dilema. Take your time - discern the truth.

Someone left a post. I read it and agreed so I submitted it. It was not mine.
Anyway, the Norman bible starts out saying that the catholic church is of Satin. Be careful who you call Christians or denominations. We are Christians, others are denominations, Normans are a cult. Very different.

I agree that probably only Mormons consider themselves to be Christians but we should not be so fast when speakin who is not Christian.

For example some ancient heresies “discussed” how it is with Jesus but I think they are generally feeled to be Christian heresies (at least some). Of course they did not teach that there are many and many gods and so on but Christians firstly had to “get know” about Christ’s equality with God, nature of sonhood, Trinitar Dogma and so on. And some did not agree. They were considered to be heretisc (sometimes maybe outnumbering the orthodox ones, or at least near to it) but usually heretics from Christianity.

The second thing: Not all Christian churches have the exactly same Scripture. For example (oriental) Copts, who are definitely, absolutely, surely and deeply Christians under any normal and inteligent considering, have different number of books.

The Catholic Church teaches that Jesus is the one true fulfillment of the OT. LDS, while they accept Jesus as a son of God, believe that Joseph Smith provided subsequent fulfillment. Therefore, according to the Catholic Church, the LDS are not true Christians.

That does not preclude LDS from considering themselves Christians by their own definition as followers of Jesus.

Just because they call themselves Christian does not make it so. They are not. They are of a cult.

And I quickly say LDS is not Christianity.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.