One of my musical heroes: Buddy Miles Dead at 60

http://www.buddymiles.com/images/buddy1small.jpg

George Allen “Buddy” Miles passed away late last night in Austin, Texas after a long fight with congestive heart disease.

Born in Omaha in 1947, Buddy was a child prodigy, initially playing drums with his father George,Sr.‘s band The Bebops. His nickname – given to him by his aunt - came from his tremendous love for his idol, Buddy Rich (they once played on stage together). He played in a variety of bands as a teenager including the Ink Spots and the Delfonics; at 14 years old, he played with Wilson Pickett. In 1967, together with Mike Bloomfield, he founded the Electric Flag, one of the first, if not the first, mixed race electric blues bands. With Bloomfield’s searing guitar licks and the high wail of a terrific horn section, the Flag was a raving celebration, especially with Buddy’s voice ringing o’er the top. After only two albums, the group broke up and Buddy formed the infamous Buddy Miles Express. Soon thereafter, Buddy began his legendary collaboration with Jimi Hendrix, participating in the famous Electric Ladyland sessions on “Rainy Day, Dream Away” and “Still Raining, Still Dreaming,” and taking his place with Billy
Cox in the all-black, short-lived but extremely influential Band of Gypsys. Their classic Live at the Fillmore East recording from New Years’ Eve 1969/70 – in its initial release – featured a spot where Hendrix broke a guitar string, and during the 5 or so minutes it took Jimi to replace the string, Buddy carried on singing an improvised solo (replete with mouth-made wah-wah sounds) over the bass and drums until Hendrix slyly slipped back in the mix. The moment bears testimony to Buddy’s capacity to carry the band himself with an energy which was all his own. This live session also feat red an early version of “Them Changes,” a composition recorded and played by countless artists over time, which has safely entered the pantheon of rock music. Buddy went on famously to work with Carlos Santana, John McLaughlin and many others and he was the voice on the best-selling California Raisins albums (and commercials) including a wondrous version of “I Heard it Through the Grapevine.”…
Buddy passed with loved ones holding his hands. Only two nights ago, I had the chance to phone him from Madison Square Garden so he and Sherrilae could hear Winwood and Clapton as they laid down yet another version of his song, Them Changes to thunderous acclaim. As his niece said when I was in Austin recently: “Uncle Buddy, you’re not from this planet. Your people put you here, and now they’re coming to take you back home.” I think she was right. I think he’s at peace now that he’s home. Surely he left us with many treasures evidencing his visit to earth. We will miss him dearly.

By Geoffrey Menin

Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord, and may perpetual light shine upon him.
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Got to admit I never heard of him… Roanoker

May he rest in peace.

:crossrc:

~Liza

Yes, was big news here in Omaha. Didnt know he was from here, but familiar with some of his early work…Thanks for highlights…

Prayers for him.

“Band of Gypsys” was one of my Hendrix favorites.

Yep Mine too! Dug it out for a sort of memorial listen yesterday.

His expertise on the drums will be missed!

So sad to hear of him going home…I will surely miss his presence. Naturally, his time with Jimi is where I know him the best and the Band of Gypsys is probably my favorite Hendrix album. Thanks for the info CM.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.