One of world's toughest men was bullied

Georges St. Pierre is the welterweight champion of the UFC.

He boasts a 21-2 record and hasn’t lost in more than four years. He’s a stylish dresser, is known internationally by his initials “GSP” and Saturday will battle Jake Shields in the main event of UFC 129 where he’ll be supported by 55,000-plus adoring fans in his native Canada.

Life wasn’t always this good.

“I had a rough childhood, big problems,” GSP told Yahoo! Sports, and unlike so many athletes, it wasn’t because he was poor or from a dangerous neighborhood or from a broken home.

One of the toughest men in the world was bullied as a kid.

sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dw-wetzel_georges_st_pierre_addresses_bullying_042611

interesting, i wonder how his high school reunion went.

Same goes for Mike Tyson.

He was constantly beat up for the way he talked. As a result he shied away from people and befriended pigeons. He was on Animal Planet describing how his pet pigeon was the only thing he ever felt loved him as a child. One day a bully snatched his pigeon and ripped its head off. Tyson, who had never been in a fight, snapped and starting wailing on the guy. That day he noticed that whenever he punched people "they went to sleep" The rest is history.

[quote="Birdpreacher, post:3, topic:237897"]
Same goes for Mike Tyson.

He was constantly beat up for the way he talked. As a result he shied away from people and befriended pigeons. He was on Animal Planet describing how his pet pigeon was the only thing he ever felt loved him as a child. One day a bully snatched his pigeon and ripped its head off. Tyson, who had never been in a fight, snapped and starting wailing on the guy. That day he noticed that whenever he punched people "they went to sleep" The rest is history.

[/quote]

haha Mike Tyson isn't a good example....he actually became a bully in the end

Bullying is such a horrible problem!
Everyone talks about how they were bullied in school or how they witnessed or heard about bullying in school. Maybe since I went to a Catholic school for 1st-3rd grade, and everyone was nicer, then I didn’t have to deal with it. But I have never once been bullied or even witnessed bullying. Maybe I just grew up in a nicer southern town, so all that junk didn’t take place where I grew up.

Not to excuse the convicted rapist and ear-biter, but it is interesting both of these boxers underwent bullying as children. I wonder if, perhaps, more efforts to stop the bullying had been made, Tyson might have turned out differently.

Unfortunately, I’m not sure how to do that, exactly. Bullies aren’t completely stupid, and they generally do their bullying when adults aren’t watching. Also, they often primarily use verbal abuse and intimidation rather than physical, but many teachers and other adults won’t get involved until the matter actually gets physical. And then, they often end up punishing both the bully and the victim who fought back on the grounds that it “takes two people to have a fight.” However, from what I’ve seen, I do think the schools are better about it now than they were when I was a kid.

[quote="bquinnan, post:6, topic:237897"]
And then, they often end up punishing both the bully and the victim who fought back on the grounds that it "takes two people to have a fight." However, from what I've seen, I do think the schools are better about it now than they were when I was a kid.

[/quote]

Oh good God how I hate that "reasoning". I had to put up with all 10 years of being bullied with my parents and teachers refusing to defend me using that as an excuse. Care to guess how much good that did my sense of self-worth?

None. :mad:

It takes two to have a fight but it takes only one to start it. Simple logic. Simple fact.

If a bully harasses somebody they don't even know for little to no reason, then that somebody has every right to defend himself/herself or at least have another to rely on for that.

[quote="Lost_Wanderer, post:7, topic:237897"]
Oh good God how I hate that "reasoning". I had to put up with all 10 years of being bullied with my parents and teachers refusing to defend me using that as an excuse. Care to guess how much good that did my sense of self-worth?

None. :mad:

It takes two to have a fight but it takes only one to start it. Simple logic. Simple fact.

If a bully harasses somebody they don't even know for little to no reason, then that somebody has every right to defend himself/herself or at least have another to rely on for that.

[/quote]

I remember giving a particular kid a bloody nose when he was hassling me for no reason. It was amazing how fast this kid went from acting so tough to running to the teach to tell on me. I got in trouble at school and home, but I don't remember him ever bothering me again.

[quote="bquinnan, post:8, topic:237897"]
I remember giving a particular kid a bloody nose when he was hassling me for no reason. It was amazing how fast this kid went from acting so tough to running to the teach to tell on me. I got in trouble at school and home, but I don't remember him ever bothering me again.

[/quote]

Good for you. I wish I was that tough. Better yet, I wish parents and teachers grew up themselves and realize that they're only making things worse by blaming both parties. Can't they see that the victim is demoralized enough and now they're gonna add insult to injury? (What's their reason anyway? "Equality"? To heck with that! :mad:)

I so want to make a Chuck Norris reference, (haven't we all agreed that Norris is the toughest man ever?) but alas, I am pitifully undereducated and can only suffice with an Arnold reference.

If you want to stop bullying than get to da choppah!

But in all seriousness, bullying is an unpleasant problem. I'm currently in school to become an educator. We've had a great many arguments on bullying, but there isn't. or at least there doesn't seem to be, a clear cut answer. It's just too intricate a problem to have any one clearly defined solution. And sadly, most of us who were bullied don't grow up to be UFC fighters. I was bullied, I just grew up to be a fat cynic that later converted to Catholicism and kept his cynicism by hanging a cross over it. You've just gotta take your lumps and go, I guess...

God bless,

The school bully at my school became a policeman.
After he left another lad took over as the school bully, he also became a policeman.

I used to get my head kicked in at school a lot but never lowered myself to want to hurt people like those thugs in ufc.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.