One question re: Jersey Shore: Why?

Hi,

I did a thread search to see if this TV show has already been discussed and didn't find any specific threads, at least not in Family Life.

The only reason I know anything about this show, other than its name, is that one night when I couldn't sleep I was flipping through channels and saw clips of this program when the "actors" were guests on another program. I had been unable to sleep because I had gotten some bad news about a sad scandal, and seeing these clips just made me feel that much more upset about the condition of our society.

The next time this show came up was when parents on my son's hockey team were saying what a stupid show it was, and yet their boys liked to watch it. These are 13 year old boys. I wondered why on earth they allowed the show in their home. I can't imagine what it must be like to be exposed to this kind of thing as a kid.

Children as young as 13, and, let's face it, younger, are watching this show. It is so raunchy, and it is not even a script. People are, I guess, being entertained watching the show's participants behave like... I can't even think of the right word... like people who have no sense whatsoever of their dignity as human beings.

So, my question is, why? Why does this program even exist, and why would parents let their grade school children watch it? Because I just don't understand.

I’ll admit that I’ve never seen the show, but seeing all those headlines and pictures of that Snooki girl tell me all I need to know about it. It exists because people are voyeuristic. They are fascinated by the depraved, raunchy, shocking, and often illegal exploits of the hot-tempered kids on that show.

It is definitely NOT a show that 13-year-olds should be watching. Those parents are not doing their jobs!

I think Jersey Shore is pretty funny. A lot of laughs to be had. CABSAREHERE! It hardly takes a great deal of analysis to see how brutally vapid their lifestyles are though, I definitely don’t worry about it being a bad influence like… although maybe for younger kids its a different story.

Degeneracy. Sodom and Gomorrah Redux. Moral relativism. Hedonism.

I have never watched the show but there are many others just like it. I try not to watch much TV at all, I think it’s a bad influence for all ages.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:4, topic:224845"]
Degeneracy. Sodom and Gomorrah Redux. Moral relativism. Hedonism.

I have never watched the show but there are many others just like it. I try not to watch much TV at all, I think it's a bad influence for all ages.

[/quote]

Educated people to not replicate the behaviour they witness, it can do more harm than good to shield people from negative influences; to deny them their right to analyse and criticise what is presented to them.

But I’m not so sure about that. First of all, children do not qualify as educated people, in that their education is far from complete. Even their brain development is not yet complete, and their analytical abilities have not matured. Not that watching Jersey Shore matures anyone.

So, you would say that watching Jersey Shore can be beneficial? At what point would it not be beneficial to watch a program? If worse programing comes out, should people watch it to avoid being harmed by not watching it?

I am very interested in this line of thinking.

Are you ever in any way offended by what you see? I don’t mean in a hyper-sensitive kind of reaction. I mean, do you ever see that and say, wow, I am really watching people debase themselves? Or, do you ever think that there must be a better way to get a good laugh?

Could I also ask, and please don’t take this as anything other than trying to understand the appeal of this program, do you by any chance receive Communion any more than weekly? Do you pray regularly? I just wonder if it tends to be harder to watch this thing if, say, you pray the rosary daily. Maybe I’m testing out a theory that is in my own mind, a theory that is completely off base. I would like to be able to understand the point of view of people who, in some way, appreciate the program.

I too wonder what good comes out of watching this show, for adults I mean.

Children, especially 13 year olds that are very impressionable by anything they see on tv, should not be watching this show. Teenagers at that age are still developing their moral compass, anything they see on tv, hear on the radio, see in a movie is most of the time, how they think the world works, it becomes normal. They don’t question it the same way a discerning adult would that has already developed their own moral beliefs.

I wonder if the parents from the hockey team are even taking the time to discuss the show with their kids. I have let my daughter watch some questionable shows on tv, but I’m sitting there right on the couch, using it as a tool to open up conversations about topics that I feel I need to discuss with her to help her develop her moral beliefs. She doesn’t get free rein to watch whatever she wants on tv, especially something as degrading to people as the Jersey Shore. Its degrading to not only people watching the show, but degrading to the people ON the show and its so sad that they can’t even recognize that themselves.

That’s how far down we’ve already fallen. This junk is seen as entertaining. Why should I let my kids roll around in the hog pen to show them that they will get covered in pig excrement??? What a crazy argument for allowing your kids to watch this stuff!

Of course we can always sink to our baser nature. It’s a choice. It’s free will. The garbage is just easier to find these days. Remember when Ricky and Lucy couldn’t even share a bed on TV??? And Gunsmoke never showed any blood. You couldn’t say any cuss words on TV either.

For the same reason the Romans flocked to the Colosseum and the Circus. Despite claims otherwise, America is quite Godless.

[quote="momof8, post:1, topic:224845"]
I wondered why on earth they allowed the show in their home.

[/quote]

Did you ask them?

Sounds to me like you need to get some new friends for your 13 year old.

[quote="momof8, post:6, topic:224845"]
But I'm not so sure about that. First of all, children do not qualify as educated people, in that their education is far from complete. Even their brain development is not yet complete, and their analytical abilities have not matured. Not that watching Jersey Shore matures anyone.

So, you would say that watching Jersey Shore can be beneficial? At what point would it not be beneficial to watch a program? If worse programing comes out, should people watch it to avoid being harmed by not watching it?

[/quote]

I wouldn't say that it is beneficial watching any entertainment program in particular. My point is that I think it can be detrimental to completely censor and seclude yourself from 'offensive' viewing under the assumption that you will somehow emulate the actions of those you are viewing. I agree its a different deal for kids like. But for older people, to reiterate, it doesn't take much brain power to see that the folk on Jersey Shore are right vacuous. I can't imagine wanting to live that lifestyle, even if I have enjoyed watching the last two seasons of it.

[quote="momof8, post:7, topic:224845"]

Are you ever in any way offended by what you see? I don't mean in a hyper-sensitive kind of reaction. I mean, do you ever see that and say, wow, I am really watching people debase themselves? Or, do you ever think that there must be a better way to get a good laugh?

Could I also ask, and please don't take this as anything other than trying to understand the appeal of this program, do you by any chance receive Communion any more than weekly? Do you pray regularly? I just wonder if it tends to be harder to watch this thing if, say, you pray the rosary daily. Maybe I'm testing out a theory that is in my own mind, a theory that is completely off base. I would like to be able to understand the point of view of people who, in some way, appreciate the program.

[/quote]

Of course I am offended by things I watch sometimes. My old flatmate used to watch a lot of old 60s exploitation films and a couple of them in particular got to me - especially those that were anti-Christian or blasphemous in a big way (one about nuns I walked out on comes to mind). There were other movies that were definitely offensive that I was happy to sit through though because I thought there was a point to it... the director was using certain images to evoke an emotive response, you know? Jersey Shore is a different deal and the argument for artistic worth can't really apply here as it is pure trash tv. As in so many of these threads I feel like I need to say that the root cause isn't necessarily bad, it is the application of that in your life that is.

I find it offensive that you are trying to equate my willingness to watch JS with 'how good a Catholic I am' so I'm not going to respond to that.

Actually, if you do your research, you’ll find that the show is scripted. Not in the strictest sense of the word…but shots are re-done, cast are told to act in specific ways, most of them have had acting experience.

I do watch it but I do find it pretty stupid but funny at the same time. Might consider not watching it anymore :blush:

[quote="NewsTheMan, post:13, topic:224845"]
Actually, if you do your research, you'll find that the show is scripted. Not in the strictest sense of the word...but shots are re-done, cast are told to act in specific ways, most of them have had acting experience.

[/quote]

Can believe it, that shot with sitch on the balcony at the start after Ronnie & Sammi got together was alomst OC-esque.

Never seen the show, so I honestly can't criticize it. However, about 10 years ago I noticed a tendency of parents/adult/authority figures on most kids shows being portrayed as clueless, out of touch, and slow. And this was on the Disney Channel, Nickelodeon etc. Got rid of all the extended cable channels and limited it to basic- just the major networks and a couple of others. Just figured my kids getting the constant subtle message of dim-witted parents / smart kids wasn't particularly good.

I agree with momof8. I think shows like jersey shore and real housewives is complete garbage. 13 year olds should not be watching it, and i don’t recommend those shows to any adults either.

[quote="illmatic, post:12, topic:224845"]

I find it offensive that you are trying to equate my willingness to watch JS with 'how good a Catholic I am' so I'm not going to respond to that.

[/quote]

You put " 'how good a Catholic I am' " in quotes yet they are your words, not mine.

My point is, I wonder if being closer to God makes it harder to watch such things on TV. You and God are the only judges of how close you are to Him, so I was wondering instead about a more measurable correlation between, say, frequent Communion, maybe frequent praying of the rosary, and frequent watching of such things as The Jersey Shore. It really was not my intention for it to be a personal question, certainly with no intent to judge a particular person, so perhaps I should look for the answer in a different way.

Based on what is shown on TV and the level of religious practice in our society, however, I would guess that their seems to be a correlation of some kind, certainly on a societal level. Which I think other people here also see.

I’d often wondered if I were the last person on the planet who “got” “Jersey Shore”.

I watched one episode (okay, ten minutes, it was almost more than I could handle) just because everyone at work was talking about it and I had no idea to what they were referring and sat there thinking, “These people get paid way more for one season’s ‘work’ than I’ll ever see in my lifetime… for WHAT??? What are they DOING??? What is the POINT???”

I’ll admit that, in the grand scheme of things, my job doesn’t exactly rank up there with missionary or brain surgeon or kindergarten teacher or waitress (I am, in fact, a cake decorator), but I use the talents that God gave me to the best of my abilities… However, if these people are truly “actors” or “entertainers”, they are wasting their talent on this mindless drivel. If this is the best that their talent can enable them to achieve, then they need to develop new talents.

I put them in inverted commas, not quotes, to show that I have a problem with the idea of trying to quantify how good a Catholic someone is, which is essentially what you want to do by finding out whether or not a person is closer to God. There are countless factors to take into account and neither you nor I would be well enough informed or unbiased enough to make a good objective assessment about my closeness with God but I will say this: I have watched two seasons of Jersey Shore and I still follow Christ the best I can. It hasn’t influenced me to act in a morally wrong or irresponsible way.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.