One third of those aware of Holocaust say it’s greatly exaggerated

Fifty-four percent of people surveyed around the world have heard of the Holocaust — and 32 percent of those believe it’s a myth or greatly exaggerated, according to a new Anti-Defamation League report.

In the Middle East and North Africa, 63 percent of survey respondents who have heard of the Holocaust believe it’s a myth or greatly exaggerated, according to the “ADL Global 100: An Index of Anti-Semitism.” It also found that younger people around the world are less aware of the Holocaust, with less than half (48 percent) of all respondents under age 35 aware of the Holocaust and 61 percent of those age 50 and older aware of the Holocaust.

dailynews.com/general-news/20140513/one-third-of-those-aware-of-holocaust-say-its-greatly-exaggerated

These are no doubt the same people who say Christ, His miracles, His mission, etc was all greatly exagerrated too. What does one expect from such a “see it to believe it” generation.

It’s not a subject they’re probably taught in school, which is actually sort of understandable. The Holocaust was a European affair between European nations. You don’t get much Chinese or Middle Eastern history in a US classroom either. That gives freer reign for special interests to push their preferred history.

I was thinking the other day about the awareness and recognition of the holocaust in future years for it to be “never again”. It’s still shocking to think it happened.

One thing we know, the countries who are probably very aware of it, Europe, USA and Canada will surely continue to remember it.

Though, like I said, I contemplated the topic. How will it be viewed in 2045 for example, a hundred years after World War II?

In this, the countries mentioned where the belief is not that strong, Middle Eastern and African, they may well have put up similar numbers decades ago as well.

For me, the saddest part of this is that only 54% of people around the world have even heard about the Holocaust!!!???

Why do I have the feeling that most of these are younger people from the US…??

Saying that it is “exaggerated” is inflammatory, but the numbers often tossed around are incorrect.

**“The things I saw beggar description… The visual evidence and the verbal testimony of starvation, cruelty and bestiality were…overpowering… I made the visit deliberately in order to be in a position to give first-hand evidence of these things if ever, in the future, there develops a tendency to charge these allegations merely to ‘propaganda’.”

Source: General Dwight D. Eisenhower’s letter to General George C. Marshall dated April 15, 1945. **

The General knew human nature…

I don’t think misconceptions about the Holocaust are all that uncommon:

breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2014/05/12/MSNBC-s-Schultz-Says-Gays-Really-The-Ones-Persecuted-in-Nazi-Holocaust

Gay people were really the ones being persecuted in Hitler’s Germany," Schultz blurted out on his EdShow Twitter feed at 4:50 PM on May 12.

There have been great famines in China, the war vs. Imperial Japan was horrific too. All in all, casualties in World War II in both the Pacific Asian Theater and European Theater I believe seem somewhat similar, yet, a lot of us might not know this about Asia.

The Armenians, The Ukrainians, we need to remember all of these.

Leave it to brietbart to take the quote out of context, reveal the context, and continue to take it out of context. Fact is that the horror wasn’t over for gay victims of the holocaust when the Allies rolled in. Unlike the Jews, Russians, political dissidents etc, gays weren’t liberated. They were re-arrested and re-imprisoned.

There’s no doubt in my mind that the “holocaust” did happen and I’m sure that it was among the most horrendous crimes toward humanity ever committed with the number of victims I believe to be in the millions as reported;
However, although one atrocity doesn’t deserve another, imho there was a time when monsters were every where in Europe;
And there may be a more appropriate expression for my meaning, but I can only think that those monsters may have believed that “the ends justify the means” so to speak:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consequentialism

[quote=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consequentialism]
the consequences of one’s conduct are the ultimate basis for any judgment about the rightness or wrongness of that conduct.

[/quote]

In other words I’m saying that there were monsters in the world like Hitler by whom it was believed that the Jews were the embodiment of the devil
And in his mind their extermination was “the consequences” of their “conduct”;
Or “the ends which justify the means”.

Again, our 21st century age of love, gentleness and forgiveness can’t condone the kind of savagery that happened from the time when the Bolshevik “red terror” exterminated millions of Christians in Russia and 6000 Catholic priests in the Spanish Civil War to the “holocaust” of 6 million Jews;
But those monsters on both sides actually felt justified. :shrug: :blush:

rex

The problem with numbers is how do you fathom the horror of 10,000 killed? Or 100,000 or 100,000,000? People get very emotional when you question the numbers. But nobody experienced all those people dying at once. Most only experienced what they saw where they were.

The most accurate information would be from the former Nazis themselves, but then they probably wouldn’t give a reliable account. So, we would have to take the numbers from the allied forced- American, Russian, etc. Would they have a reason to exaggerate? Probably.

So, I don’t think its wrong to question the numbers. But, more to the point: What about the numbers? It’s not the numbers that matter that much, whether it was a few thousand or a few million. It’s the fact that it happened at all. And it should never happen again. I think these questionnaires/studies ask the wrong questions.

I had the same feeling. :frowning:

it’s really difficult to get an accurate estimate of the victims. hence the suspicion of exaggeration might be a product of suspicion of the authenticity of the data.
but even if it was one person that was killed, does it make it less horrible and more acceptable? the value of the human life is indeed beyond valuation.

what purpose does exaggerating or downplaying the number of victims serve anyway?

I don’t think the Holocaust is exaggerated, but what I do think is that the Jews get special mention, while the persecution of other peoples is either ignored or less reported.

**Spanish Civil War, **with Catholics persecuted by leftists (from Wikipedia) “The death toll of the clergy alone included 13 bishops, 4,172 diocesan priests and seminarians, 2,364 monks and friars and 283 nuns, for a total of 6,832 clerical victims.” I don’t know how many lay Catholics were killed.

The Belgians in the Congo -

necrometrics.com/20c5m.htm

E.D. Morel estimated that the Congo’s population began with an original 20 or 30 million, and bottomed out at a mere 8 million. Morel, The Black Man’s Burden, 1920, Chapter 9 ("[W]hen the country had been explored in every direction by travellers of divers nationalities, estimates varied between twenty and thirty millions. No estimate fell below twenty millions. In 1911 an official census was taken. It was not published in Belgium, but was reported in one of the British Consular dispatches. It revealed that only eight and a half million people were left.").

Richard Pipes, A concise history of the Russian Revolution (1995): 9 million deaths, 1917-1922 ◦Famine: 5M; Combat: 2M :black_medium_small_square:Reds: 1M; Whites: 127,000; ◦Epidemics: 2M; Emigration: 2M; Birth deficit: 14M

Dyadkin, I.G. (Demograficheskaya statistika neyestestvennoy smertnosti v SSSR 1918-1956 ): 56 to 62 million “unnatural deaths” for the USSR overall, with 34 to 49 million under Stalin.

World War II - China: 10.45M; :black_medium_small_square:Poland: 5.8M

19 May 2002 San Gabriel Valley Tribune: “January 1942: Japan occupies the entire island. With support from the local people, Australian commandos in East Timor battle Japan. Japanese reprisals kill 60,000 civilians 13 percent of East Timor’s population.”

(China under Mao) Agence France Press (25 Sept. 1999) citing at length from Courtois, Stephane, Le Livre Noir du Communism: ◦Rural purges, 1946-49: 2-5M deaths
◦Urban purges, 1950-57: 1M
◦Great Leap Forward: 20-43M
◦Cultural Revolution: 2-7M
◦Labor Camps: 20M
◦Tibet: 0.6-1.2M
◦TOTAL: 44.5 to 72M

We hear again and again about the Jews killed in the Holocaust either in documentaries or in movies, but we hear next to nothing about all these other holocausts. I think in part because the American film industry has a lot of Jewish influence, and so the (Jewish) Holocaust gets an inordinate amount of air time.

Marlon Brando apparently made an offensive remark on the Larry King Show some time ago (first I heard of it was tonight as I was doing some research), in which he stated -

“Hollywood is run by Jews; it is owned by Jews–and they should have a greater sensitivity about the issue of people who are suffering. Because…we have seen…the greaseball, we’ve seen the Chink, we’ve seen the slit-eyed dangerous Jap, we have seen the wily Filipino, we’ve seen everything but we never saw the kike. Because they knew perfectly well, that that is where you draw the [line].”

from - rense.com/general21/bet.htm

The Holocaust is not exaggerated. What is under-emphasised is the suffering of so many others, including Christians.

ewtn.com/vnews/getstory.asp?number=26402

In two millennia of Christian history, about 70 million faithful have given their lives for the faith, and of these, 45.5 million – fully 65% – were in the last century, according to “The New Persecuted” (“I Nuovi Perseguitati”).

Italian journalist Antonio Socci presented his work today during a conference on “Anti-Christian Persecution in the 20th Century” held at the Regina Apostolorum Pontifical Athenaeum.

“I handed in the draft of the book in January; since then the martyrdom of Christians has had no letup,” the author noted. “Suffice it to think of what is happening in Colombia and Indonesia.”

Or even others groups from the Holocaust that were also killed. Jehovah Witnesses, homosexuals, Gypsies, etc. had their lives destroyed during this time period.

[quote=Bob Crowley; 11991327]The Holocaust is not exaggerated. What is under-emphasised is the suffering of so many others…
[/quote]

Let’s not forget the millions who died during roughly the same period in the USSR during Stalin’s reign of terror.

Sadly, I rarely ever hear outcries for this gross injustice done by him. All we ever hear about is Hitler. I guess when evil is on the winning side of the war like Stalin was, history tends to give you a pass.

Bob Crowley said:-

E.D. Morel estimated that the Congo’s population began with an original 20 or 30 million, and bottomed out at a mere 8 million. Morel, The Black Man’s Burden, 1920, Chapter 9 ("[W]hen the country had been explored in every direction by travellers of divers nationalities, estimates varied between twenty and thirty millions. No estimate fell below twenty millions. In 1911 an official census was taken. It was not published in Belgium, but was reported in one of the British Consular dispatches. It revealed that only eight and a half million people were left.").

Your first example is one every Irish schoolchild is taught about because the figure who worked with Morel to expose this was Sir Roger Casement who is a very prominent figure in early 20th century Irish history. He formed the Congo Reform Association with Morel and bankrolled it at first with what spare cash he had available, he also formed in part the inspiration for several pieces of literature and literary characters.

He is seen as a traitor in Britain as he eventually sided with the Irish nationalist cause and tried to organise an Irish revolution, whereas he is seen as a heroic figure by many Irish people. He was also a convert to Catholicism whilst awaiting execution. Morel was himself imprisoned due to his pacifist stance in WW1.

The major group whose suffering is often overlooked during the World War 2 era seems to the Roma and Sinte people. Because they are still very much outsiders and often still perceived negatively little attention has been focused on them. Indeed they are still persecuted in many places as we speak, some countries in Europe are still performing forced sterilizations of women from these backgrounds for example.

The Holocaust is not exaggerated simply because an equal or greater amount of non-Jews were killed during the same time period. The latter facts do not prove the exaggeration assertion. Proportion matters. European Jews were very nearly exterminated entirely and on purpose because a sick madman convinced a powerful nation that a particular group of people were sub-human and the major source of many problems. Thus, the ultimate solution. There is a lesson there that should not be diluted by the equal number (in absolute terms) of other sorts of people killed in Nazi camps.

My problem with the Holocaust story is the way that too many Jewish people attempt to make it a proprietary lesson ONLY in regards to Judaism and anti-Semitism. There is protest and outrage any time anyone attempts to apply the lessons of the Holocaust universally rather than as a dedicated sentinel against anti-Semitism alone.

The thing that we REALLY should “never again” allow to happen is the practice of dehumanizing entire groups of people to subhuman status so that “ultimate solutions” can be proposed respectably. Sadly, it took only a few decades before the unborn were routinely classified as “less than human” and the ultimate solution was proposed again.

It’s not like it’s a rare theme in history. Scapegoat, dehumanize, isolate, exploit and eventually exterminate. It’s happened repeatedly throughout history and is even happening right now. Not to the same proportions as the Holocaust, but the absolute numbers of abortions since the 1960’s is staggering (hundreds of millions).

Opportunity for humanity to learn, grow and gain - lost. :frowning:

I was not there for the Holocaust, so I honestly cannot say if it’s an exaggeration. Moreover, I know the mass media, and our recorded ‘history,’ is often based on lies and half-truths. But none of this will change my high regard for the Jewish people, nor will it affect my tendency to explore Jewish mysticism. Everything is cool with the Jewish people.

LOVE! :heart:

Sadly, I think this type of dehumanization is alive and well when it comes to the starvation of innocent children. Why else would there not be a LOUD public outcry for this crime against humanity, I do not know. I would think that Jews would be the first to condemn these types of atrocities from taking place with anyone, from anywhere within the world. Jews have a very strong voice within the political arena, but not the same can be said for these children.

LOVE! :heart:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.