One united church will be run by the Antichrist?

My boyfriend says that he thinks the Protestant churches have a better chance, because they are spread out among denominations, and that even if hundreds were made, there’d still be at least one that was correct.

And he says that the Bible says ecumenicism will bring about the antiChrist. And if the Antichrist runs the Catholic church and all churches that join with it, then all of the church is destroyed.

I say that we were meant to have “one holy, Catholic apostolic church,” so ecumenicism makes sense.

He tells me the Protestant denominations have their minute differences but they are one church.

I am confused.

I think HE is the one who is confused. :stuck_out_tongue:

well there’s true and false ecumenism… true ecumenism is bringing everyone into the Church. That is not of the anti-Christ, that is what I believe to be God’s will. False ecumenism is watering down the faith to suit others. That is wrong.

I don’t think that the anti-Christ will run the Church… Christ said it will not fail. Even if the anti-Christ infiltrates it, we’d still be able to tell where the real Church is. I read some prophesies about this (private revelations, but still) and apparently there will be a true Pope and a false one, and we’ll know who the true one is cause he’ll be elected by the Cardinals, whereas the false one will simply take power. Also, the true Pope will continue proclaiming Christ and the Gospel.

As for the Protestant churches, not one of them is totally right, they all contradict each other… and there’s no unity in Protestantism.

God bless

An interestnig theory but then he would have quite a time studying and trying to be sure that he was a member to the one that is right. What does he think would happen to him if he chooses wrongly?

And he says that the Bible says ecumenicism will bring about the antiChrist. And if the Antichrist runs the Catholic church and all churches that join with it, then all of the church is destroyed.

The whole “antichrist” issue is one that is unclear. The only times the term “antichrist” appears in the bible it is used more in the sense of a “spirit” and a position than a person. Those who build up the “AntiChrist” being a specific person are building it off of Revelation and “The beast” and 666 etc. Revelation as we know is difficult to read and can be interpreted as things that have happened or will happen. In fact it is not even clear that the “AntiChrist” will be a religious leader or a civil leader…

I say that we were meant to have “one holy, Catholic apostolic church,” so ecumenicism makes sense.

As others have said ecumanism can be good or bad. Reaching out as the Church does to our seperated brethren to try and open dialogue, promote understanding and work through differences is all to the good. To compromise or water down essential truths is not good.

He tells me the Protestant denominations have their minute differences but they are one church.

This protestant view of the “invisible church”, is the only way that they can claim any legitimacy. It is a false claim but it gets quite complicated in trying to understand it.
As to “minute differences”, these minute differences are enough to cause church communiteis to split. They are enough to have caused the original reformers to split apart and “anethamatize” each other as being in deep error.
His view, while common among protestants and convenient, is not supported by the bible.

I am confused.

Well I hope the answers you are receiving helps to “unconfuse” you. :smiley:

Peace
James

But what if you’re not on that one?

Actually the Bible says that Jesus promised that the gates of Hades will not prevail against His Church.

How can they be one when they don’t even agree on the same doctrines?

Yea, but “Protestant denominations (only) have… minute differences”…You know like whether the Real Presence is really real - or whether Baptism is actually necessary…Like whethe it’s possible to “lose your salvation”… You know, little things lek that…:shrug: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Peace
James

Can’t see why ‘‘at least one’’ would be correct, and from a catholic point of view none of them are correct, only more or less wrong, and I don’t think that the Antichrist will run the Catholic chucrh either.

The Protestant churches have more than just minute differences, well some have, but if you look at all of them they can be very different.

Some Protestants thinks that all Christians are united in one church spiritually even if the churches traditions, and so on, can be different.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.