One year in jail and $2500 fine possible for attending Church with more than 10 people

" Yes, Virginia’s Governor Has Made It a Crime for More Than 10 People to Attend a Church Service"
It is a criminal offense to do so, i.e., a Class 1 misdemeanor.
“The authorized punishments for conviction of a misdemeanor are: (a) For Class 1 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than twelve months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both.”
https://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/terence-p-jeffrey/yes-virginias-governor-has-made-it-crime-more-10-people-attend-church

3 Likes

A pastor in New Orleans is continuing to have Sunday services. I think last Sunday
1000 people were there. I guess he considers church essential

2 Likes

Sounds like they haven’t been paying attention to what’s been going on all over the world.

5 Likes

NJ is now charging people with disorderly persons charges for violating the no mass gatherings order, i dont know what fines or jail time comes with that, if any. Cops were sent to break up a wedding at a private residence in Lakewood the other day. I have no problem with the govt suggesting this stuff, most people will comply because it seems to be the right thing to do but i do not agree with arresting and charging people with crimes for this. i dont see how it is even legal for the govt to do so and to be honest, i hope somebody sues over this. I see it as a massive overreach of govt power.

4 Likes

Isaiah 26:20

Go my people, enter your rooms and shut the doors behind you; hide yourselves for a little while until his wrath has passed by.

Our faith isn’t asked to be put on hold, our faith is asking us to keep faith during this time. When I read that verse it isn’t a hurried tone nor is a startled one. It’s a safe one with consideration and care of a Good Shepard for HIs flock.

5 Likes

Is it still illegal if Mass is held in hedgerows there and people maintain 6’ distance?

3 Likes

What you write may be the reason that we could lose this war.
The nations that turned the tide are one in which there was strong enforcement that met with rigorous compliance for the sake of one another. In the US we may not be able too this.

Short term consequences, if we cannot:
We are now the epicenter of active cases of the virus, with more cases than any other nation.

By the end of the day, we will be number one in total cases - active and resolved - than any other nation, including China.

In about a week we will have well over half a million cases, nearly all active. The number of cases per million-population will be over 30% higher than the situation in Italy and Spain today. In a week.

I suspect that the countries that turned the tide may also be better in math.

3 Likes

There is never an appropriate time for the govt to overstep its authority and perform illegal acts. Never, no matter how worthy the cause. Every time it does so it becomes easier and more likely for it to happen again and for lesser causes. Govt should always act within its authority, Never beyond it. I’m sorry you disagree.

3 Likes

While I agree with your general point that we have a big problem and a lot of cases, I don’t believe for one minute that China has actually stopped this epidemic, any more than I believe that Russia doesn’t have a ton of cases right now.
Those countries aren’t testing and/or are not releasing true data to the world.

6 Likes

I think you’d better read the constitution, as well as your state’s constitution. You’ll find exceptions in place for times of emergency

2 Likes

This violates the First Amendment. Period!

5 Likes

Haven’t heard of the Government ordering people to stop being Anglican or Presbyterian, so no, it does not.

4 Likes

Have you read the first amendment? Part of that is " the right of the people peaceably to assemble" which i think is what JanR was talking about.

3 Likes

Please link to what you think is in there.

1 Like

As a schoolboy studying history, I always used to wonder how totalitarian countries could have ever permitted themselves to slip into total oppression. Seems to always start with timeless cliches of 'greater good,"“times of emergency,” etc.etc., :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

So the govt just snaps its fingers and says “thats not peaceful” and they get carte blanch to do as they please?

That seems to be “cruel and unusual” if you ask me

are wishing peoples legs broken? is that catholic?

an, no im not “ignorantly choosing to spread death”. I think people are wise to follow the guidelines but i also want the government to act within its legal authority which is something we should all want.

3 Likes

As do I, but I don’t want my son to be a slave. I want him and his children to have all the liberties and freedoms that I myself had taken for granted. That demands sacrifices. Cowering in fear is not one of them. How does the saying go? “Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Ben Franklin

2 Likes

Slalinist, thuggish sentiment… point proven. We can easily see where this type of demanded capitulation will lead. Worry not, there is no shortage of countries that can accommodate such preferences.

3 Likes

Its not just my liberty, it is Americas liberty, all of us.

I am safely inside my house and have not gone anywhere in days. when i did go out last it was to the grocery store, which is allowable. I am not ignoring any health and safety guidelines whatsoever. all i am doing is asking the government to act within it legal authority which does not, in my view, include jailing people for this.

1 Like

While I want my children to grow up in a healthy world, it kind of undercuts any Christian argument by saying their legs should be broken.

I frankly find certain grave evils in society even more dangerous to our souls than the virus, but that doesn’t mean I go around claiming we should cut the arms of off abortionists or sex offenders.

If everyone would think beyond their selfish desires in the moment, we’d all do a lot better. That includes Christians who want to gather, people who insist on being out for no good reasons right now, and those advocating for complete loss of work with no intention of paying those poor folks salaries out of their own pocket. Every extreme in this case in generally a bad idea without including an effective countermeasure for its impacts.

4 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.