One year in jail and $2500 fine possible for attending Church with more than 10 people

Be careful. Spock was wise, but not a member of any Christian faith.

You may deem this acceptable because you are passionate about this case, but you may also find your own legs broken when someone else feels justified in their zeal. There is no tenet of any Christian faith that would justify that, and it would be far better to lose one’s life than to maim someone and lose one’s eternal soul.

If you like the idea of jack-boot thuggery when it serves your purpose, there are job openings in wet markets in Wuhan you could always move your family to.

Hopefully, everyone just chills and cooperates as best they are able.

4 Likes

And the Framers foresaw periods of national crisis, which is why they inserted Section 9 in Article 1 of the Constitution. It has been invoked before during periods of crisis, to no long-term ill effect.

1 Like

It is the job of the state to protect the common good. This is Catholic social teaching.

A broken leg is harmless. It can be done very quickly with little pain if done properly.

Such an act is a very simple way to protect the common good.

I would have no reason to fear my legs being broken, because I will not put people in harms way.

Only those who are willing to endanger us all would object to this, because the very easy way to avoid a broken leg is to simply not endanger people.

1 Like

that section if rather broad, do you mean “The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.” ?

There is no Rebellion or Invasion. Public Safety is not listed as a reason in and of itself. It is for when public Safety may require it in cases of rebellion or invasion.

1 Like

Mandatory quarantine laws have passed constitutional muster with the Supreme Court. A pandemic is certainly a time of emergency, and the Supreme Court has seen absolutely no issue with the states or the Federal government using their authority to assure the public welfare.

court case?

I dont think that challenges to recent mandates have made their way up to SCOTUS yet, we will see. In the meantime, the governors are testing their limits.

Actually, no. Depending on how a leg gets broken, such an injury can leave a person crippled even after it heals.

Aside from that, advocating any act of physical violence against another person is contradictory to any Christian values. Frankly, I’m more than a little alarmed at your open expression of violent tendencies, although I find safety in your being honest about it. The devil one knows is easier to deal with or avoid than the devil one doesn’t know.

I might also point out that doing any kind of physical assault against another person is a criminal act that could land you in jail, regardless of your reasons for doing it.

2 Likes

https://biotech.law.lsu.edu/cases/pp/ruby1.htm

Violence is not at all against Christian teaching.

How are the police supposed to arrest people without violence?

If you had someone trained in the right way, a pneumatic/hydraulic device could snap the leg quickly and in just the right place, so it wouldn’t be so bad really. Few painkillers and several weeks bedrest.

1 Like

Have not gone through it yet but you clearly said “Mandatory quarantine laws have passed constitutional muster with the Supreme Court” and gave us a non-SCOTUS courts case to back it up.

Edit to add: i took a brief look and that case was only about confining a person who was actually infected with TB. I’m not seeing how that can be applied to the whole population of non infected people. do you have any court cases on that?

1 Like

This verse came to mind the other day as I was in prayer:

“Nevertheless when the Son of Man returns, will he find faith on Earth?” Luke 18:8

It made me wonder if the Son of Man would be disappointed in us if he were to return at this very hour and find that every one of his church doors had been closed.

Our Lady’s words to St. Juan Diego in 1531 also came to mind:

“Listen to my words and let them penetrate your heart…do not be troubled or weighed down with grief. Do not fear any illness or vexation, anxiety or pain. Am I not here who am your Mother? Are you not under the shadow of my protection? Am I not your source of joy? Are you not in the folds of my mantle? In the crossing of my arms? Is there anything else that you need?”

Perhaps we should have more faith - myself included as I look at the $150 worth of paper products sitting in my spare room.

Just my personal opinion here but i think your fantasizing about how to “best” break someones leg to keep them home is sick and twisted.

I wouldn’t even keep responding. Not worth it, and is either not serious, or truly evil.

Fair enough, if the fine can be made applicable there at the same rate then life imprisonment with no possibility of parole seems reasonable as a punishment for that pastor.

I’m indulging in hyperbole but certainly the pastor shouldn’t be allowed to continue that practice of gatherings of a 1000 people till matters have settled down.

Is it really? My late mother was a senior nurse and my aunt was her colleague, my other aunt is a religious sister and a doctor. All of them would be fascinated to hear a broken leg is harmless. What medical qualifications do you hold to deliver that verdict?

2 Likes

Spock also didn’t tend to use methods like breaking legs to make his points…

1 Like

Trapezius only for that guy, and no permamnent damage.

I really can not understand why this disobedience . They are supposed to be Christian. Even Jesus said give to Ceaser what is Ceaser’s. We are to follow the law especially when it is charitable to others and saves lives. If our Pope can allow us to miss Mass them why would preachers think they are above the law.

1 Like

Mostly because these types of preachers think they have a direct line to God…and God agrees with everything they think! :scream::scream::scream: /s

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.