Online Bible study groups

Not really sure where to post this, but this forum seemed the most appropriate.

I am looking for an online Bible-study group. Preferably Catholic, but would be happy to participate in any non-denominational Christian groups provided people were genuine in wishing to know more about God and not trying to convert me (I grew up in a Protestant Church, became a Catholic in Easter 2011 and can handle myself somewhat well theologically).

I’ve done a few searches but couldn’t come up with anything. Any suggestions?

Create one. :slight_smile:

You were me 20 years ago.
The reality is most bible studies are Protestant, even the nondenominational ones and have erronious interpretations of scripture passages. For example:

Matthew 16 says:

“17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter,** and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades[c] will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be[d] bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be[e] loosed in heaven.”

This is were Jesus established the Papacy and give it infalible authority.

That isn’t our interpretation. That’s what it means. However, any Christian church not in communion with Rome will deny this fact.
This is 1 of many examples of this.
What’s the point of studying with Christians who are in error on what the bible means?

If you want to study the bible do what I did.

read the new testamen from the first page of Matthew to the last page of Revelations. read it like a book and take notes. Then go tell Protetsants they’re wrong.**

Thanks for the suggestions, Steveabrous, but I’m not interested in proving people wrong, I’m interested in reading the Bible with other people in the hope of growing closer to God.

In my opinion, there is very little to be gained from discussing passages with someone that I know disagrees with me. I still have some very close Protestant friends and, while we do enjoy discussing things like the role of the Blessed Virgin, the validity of the doctrine of transubstantiation, the role of Tradition, etc., more is gained (God is glorified and my relationships with God and those around me are strengthened) when we genuinely attempt to understand Scripture together. When we disagree, we can have fun arguing about it (and sometimes we do), or we can move on and try to delve more deeply into the things on which we do agree.

A couple of quotes on Christian unity from Vatican II:

Before the whole world let all Christians confess their faith in the triune God, one and three in the incarnate Son of God, our Redeemer and Lord. United in their efforts, and with mutual respect, let them bear witness to our common hope which does not play us false . . . all men without exception are called to work together, with much greater reason all those who believe in God, but most of all, all Christians in that they bear the name of Christ. Cooperation among Christians vividly expresses the relationship which in fact already unites them, and it sets in clearer relief the features of Christ the Servant . . . All believers in Christ can, through this cooperation, be led to acquire a better knowledge and appreciation of one another, and so pave the way to Christian unity.

Decree on Ecumenism, Unitatis Redintegratio, §12

Specifically on the Protestant approach to Sacred Scripture:

A love and reverence of Sacred Scripture which might be described as devotion, leads our brethren to a constant meditative study of the sacred text. For the Gospel “is the power of God for salvation to every one who has faith, to the Jew first and then to the Greek”.

While invoking the Holy Spirit, they seek in these very Scriptures God as it were speaking to them in Christ, Whom the prophets foretold, Who is the Word of God made flesh for us. They contemplate in the Scriptures the life of Christ and what the Divine Master taught and did for our salvation, especially the mysteries of His death and resurrection.

. . .

But Sacred Scriptures provide for the work of dialogue an instrument of the highest value in the mighty hand of God for the attainment of that unity which the Saviour holds out to all.

Decree on Ecumenism, Unitatis Redintegratio, §21

What I’m looking for is a group that’s willing to pray for each other, read Scripture together and encourage each other to stand firm against the evil in the world. And I see no reason to prohibit Protestant Christians from participating in such a group, though, as I mentioned initially, I would prefer to study Scripture with fellow Catholics.

(Apologies for the dump.)

Yes, I to thought that way. But I’m afraid your going to find that, even though they will deny it at first, the ultimate goal of Protestants worshiping with you is to get you out of the evil Catholic church. And when they find they can’t they will simply walk away. Granted there are a few who don’t think this way( like my wife) but that is the exception, not the rule

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.