Online divorcee jailed after killing virtual hubby

huh??

TOKYO – A 43-year-old Japanese piano teacher’s sudden divorce from her online husband in a virtual game world made her so angry that she logged on and killed his digital persona, police said Thursday.
The woman, who has been jailed on suspicion of illegally accessing a computer and manipulating electronic data, used his identification and password to log onto popular interactive game “Maple Story” to carry out the virtual murder in mid-May, a police official in northern Sapporo City said on condition of anonymity, citing department policy.
“I was suddenly divorced, without a word of warning. That made me so angry,” the official quoted her as telling investigators and admitting the allegations.
The woman had not plotted any revenge in the real world, the official said.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081023/ap_on_re_as/as_japan_avatar_murder_3

This is about as silly as it gets :smiley: In the words of the female jailbirds in Chicago “He had it commin;”:stuck_out_tongue:

Has anyone yet created virtual psychology for these people?

Maybe he had an virtual mistress? (on the virtual side)

I’m being facetious, but only sort of. This virtual stuff worries me; I know young people who literally live in these strange worlds and who seem to find them more real and relevant than the real world.

I used to be hooked on Sim City & that is no where near the level of gaming some of this new stuff is.

Somebody hand me my golf clubs please :wink:

It’s unfortunate, but all the attempts at Christian games have been halfhearted and mediocre at best. Were someone to actually put an incredible and wholehearted effort into an MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) based on the Bible, and were they to do it well, I think it would still be spurned. Between it being “uncool” to play a Christian game, and the sad historical record of Christian games referenced above, noone’d play it but a select audience too small to justify the expense. Beyond that, it would be nitpicked to death by any given group with an ax to grind, and any dogmatic differences would be capitalized upon to condemn it.

Long story short (too late), I don’t see a future in Christian gaming. But I also don’t see a problem in allowing your kid to game moderately. Teenage rebellion can cause “Why won’t mom let me play World of Warcraft? My friend’s mage is almost to level twelve!” to quickly snowball into"Hey, I’m gonna be a mage in real life and wear pentagrams and cast spells, that’ll REALLY get her goat!" Like anything, game in moderation, restrict in moderation, but supervise like a hawk.

Is the Catholic Church against a virtual death penalty? Would it be okay to delete the avatar of the offending party?

How about virtual stoning? Time in the stockade and being thrown virtual rotten tomatoes? Dragged through World of Warcraft behind a horse until character is knocked down to level 3?

Yes pretty silly.:rolleyes:

I know of instances where one guild attacks another guild’s web site. Grownups grow up!

5 years in jail is a bit much for killing off someone’s virtual character (plenty of kids do it to their brother or sister’s game character when they’re not looking! You know, “Little Suzy left her game running, so I’ll go move her character off that cliff!”. :wink: ) The only thing she should be charged with, if anything, was breaking into her husband’s account. Even then, they both probably knew each other’s login/password accounts, anyway… It’s really a dumb thing to have a lawsuit/charges over. Plus, the game company should also have game logs, so they can easily restore the character back to where it was.

Anyway, slightly on another tangent, I know some countries have banned “Virtual currency trading” (i.e., turning virtual money into real money - a computer game can spawn items, resources, money, etc. - perfectly normal for any game, and that could hurt real economies if you let it into the real world.).

A big business on line is to exchange money from one server to another server and make profit off the trade.

Professional players can also create a character bring it to maximum level and equip the character for a price.

I say, if people are willing to pay for these services let them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.