Online Mass References needed

I am trying to prepare for some daily Masses. Not too much trouble.

I use the Catholic Calendar to know how to label each of the Masses.

I use the USCCB website for the Readings, Responsorial Psalms, and the Gospel

I use a Missalette from the from church for the Entrance Song, Gospel Acclamation and Communion Song.

What I don't seem to be able to find regularly is the prayers that are done by the priest: the Communion Prayers and the Prayer after the Communion :( The Missal that have 'expired' in 1999. The Readings are still correct, but some of the prayers have been updated. Besides, it's not always easy to 'convert' the dates.

Not exactly deal breakers, but I would like to have this for my group. It's not like it's a secret, nor is it convenient to go from source, to source and still have to get a book! :mad:

Does any one know of a source, electronic preferred, that has all of this information in one place? A reputable site. I hat ie when I get the wrong Mass because there is something different for the USA than other areas.;)

Please help me. I enjoy doing this... but I'm so frustrated.

[quote="Apryl, post:1, topic:181659"]

I use a Missalette from the from church for the Entrance Song, Gospel Acclamation and Communion Song.

What I don't seem to be able to find regularly is the prayers that are done by the priest: the Communion Prayers and the Prayer after the Communion :( The Missal that have 'expired' in 1999. The Readings are still correct, but some of the prayers have been updated. Besides, it's not always easy to 'convert' the dates.

Not exactly deal breakers, but I would like to have this for my group. It's not like it's a secret, nor is it convenient to go from source, to source and still have to get a book! :mad:

Does any one know of a source, electronic preferred, that has all of this information in one place? A reputable site. I hat ie when I get the wrong Mass because there is something different for the USA than other areas.;)

[/quote]

You don't necessarily need to have music for daily Mass. In fact, what the documents recommend is that the propers of the Mass be sung:

Gospel Acclamation (Alleluia, or, if it is not sung, it is omitted)
Sanctus (Holy, Holy, Holy)
Memorial Acclamation
Great Amen

What we do is read the Entrance Antiphon and the Communion Antiphon. These are actually preferred as opposed to hymns.

Of course, if it is a holy day of Obligation, you treat it as though it were a Sunday and have music that is suitable for the occasion.

Now, regarding the celebrant's prayers, during Ordinary Time, he has several options. If the day does not have a Memorial attached to it, then, he has the option to either use the Mass of the particular weekday, the optional memorial or offer a Votive Mass (Mass for the Sick, Mass for Vocations, Mass for the anniversary of his ordination, Mass for Public Needs, etc). Often, he will make that choice when he gets to the altar. In any case, the readings will be those for the day, but, the prayers will be for something else.

[quote="benedictgal, post:2, topic:181659"]
You don't necessarily need to have music for daily Mass. In fact, what the documents recommend is that the propers of the Mass be sung:

Gospel Acclamation (Alleluia, or, if it is not sung, it is omitted)
Sanctus (Holy, Holy, Holy)
Memorial Acclamation
Great Amen

What we do is read the Entrance Antiphon and the Communion Antiphon. These are actually preferred as opposed to hymns.

Of course, if it is a holy day of Obligation, you treat it as though it were a Sunday and have music that is suitable for the occasion.

Now, regarding the celebrant's prayers, during Ordinary Time, he has several options. If the day does not have a Memorial attached to it, then, he has the option to either use the Mass of the particular weekday, the optional memorial or offer a Votive Mass (Mass for the Sick, Mass for Vocations, Mass for the anniversary of his ordination, Mass for Public Needs, etc). Often, he will make that choice when he gets to the altar. In any case, the readings will be those for the day, but, the prayers will be for something else.

[/quote]

:eek:

Ok. Is there someplace to FIND these things electronically? :o

One place, rather than me needing to access several sources? :p

Thank you. :D

[quote="Apryl, post:3, topic:181659"]
:eek:

Ok. Is there someplace to FIND these things electronically? :o

One place, rather than me needing to access several sources? :p

Thank you. :D

[/quote]

I would suggest that you get a copy of the montly Magnificat publication. This contains all of the readingsn for a given month. The reason why I am not keen on recommending an online source for the priest's prayers is that I am not sure one exists. I have yet to see an online version of the Roman Missal (Sacramentary).

Bear in mind that during Ordinary Time, the priest has several options for the weekday Mass, as I indicated in my initial response to you. Thus, while you may have these prayers for a given weekday in ordinary time, he may or may not use them and go with those options that are legitimately given to him.

My parochial vicar knows that we have our Magnificats with us during daily Mass. However, during Ordinary Time, he will chose the propers for a particular votive Mass. These prayers are different than what you will find either in the Magnificat or a personal Daily Roman Missal. That is not to say that they are not in the Daily Roman Missal; however, you will have to do a lot of flipping around to find them.

I also found Magnificat publication.

(This contains all of the readingsn for a given month. The reason why I am not keen on recommending an online source for the priest's prayers is that I am not sure one exists. I have yet to see an online version of the Roman Missal (Sacramentary).)

It has been a source of great inspiration for research and learning.

[quote="Dbaba, post:5, topic:181659"]
I also found Magnificat publication.

(This contains all of the readingsn for a given month. The reason why I am not keen on recommending an online source for the priest's prayers is that I am not sure one exists. I have yet to see an online version of the Roman Missal (Sacramentary).)

It has been a source of great inspiration for research and learning.

[/quote]

you can buy one in html from the pauline sisters.

[quote="benedictgal, post:4, topic:181659"]
I would suggest that you get a copy of the montly Magnificat publication. This contains all of the readingsn for a given month. The reason why I am not keen on recommending an online source for the priest's prayers is that I am not sure one exists. I have yet to see an online version of the Roman Missal (Sacramentary).

Bear in mind that during Ordinary Time, the priest has several options for the weekday Mass, as I indicated in my initial response to you. Thus, while you may have these prayers for a given weekday in ordinary time, he may or may not use them and go with those options that are legitimately given to him.

[/quote]

Thank you :)

In my original post, I gave references to the sites that I use. The Catholic Calendar site is wonderful for giving the different readings that can be used (for example: a day may be a Saints Feast Day, and it will give what could be used for the readings) ;)

Last year, as in November/December, I was finding ALL of the readings and prayers that I needed so that what I had prepared matched with the Lectionary the priest has.

I do not want to borrow the Lectionary: I lose things, I have cats, I am clumsy.... too many things could happen. I don't want it outside of the church. If I damaged/lost/forgot it, what would the priest have? :eek:

I have these things at my disposal, I just wanted to have them in as few places as possible, and electronically doesn't allow for my typos (why can't I spell the without first spelling teh?)

I could get a subscription to the Magnifant, but honestly, it's not in my budget, or that of my parish.

That was the reason why my original request was so specific. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but I really am looking for something in particular, and anything else is not going to help me. :o

I'm pressed for time. I believe this is available. I was hoping for some pointers to something(s) in particular.

[quote="Apryl, post:7, topic:181659"]
Thank you :)

In my original post, I gave references to the sites that I use. The Catholic Calendar site is wonderful for giving the different readings that can be used (for example: a day may be a Saints Feast Day, and it will give what could be used for the readings) ;)

Last year, as in November/December, I was finding ALL of the readings and prayers that I needed so that what I had prepared matched with the Lectionary the priest has.

I do not want to borrow the Lectionary: I lose things, I have cats, I am clumsy.... too many things could happen. I don't want it outside of the church. If I damaged/lost/forgot it, what would the priest have? :eek:

I have these things at my disposal, I just wanted to have them in as few places as possible, and electronically doesn't allow for my typos (why can't I spell the without first spelling teh?)

I could get a subscription to the Magnifant, but honestly, it's not in my budget, or that of my parish.

That was the reason why my original request was so specific. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but I really am looking for something in particular, and anything else is not going to help me. :o

I'm pressed for time. I believe this is available. I was hoping for some pointers to something(s) in particular.

[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, are you planning these liturgies?

[quote="benedictgal, post:8, topic:181659"]
Just out of curiosity, are you planning these liturgies?

[/quote]

"Planning"???

I don't consider myself to be planning :p

We have daily Masses, and most of our participants do not have the Readings in front of them. Because I happen to like to have the Readings so that I can read along (I am one of those who 'hears' better when I can also read it), I like to have the readings. :)

When I gathered the Readings together, I had been able to find most of the other prayers so that we could go along with the Celebrant.

Rather than have some people with books, and some not, I just do them in a single sheet of paper (two sided) for those who choose to follow along.

When possible, I even include the Saint of the Day so that can be a part of their library. :D

What I am doing is not part of the Daily Liturgies. I am just trying to gather what is already part of the Sunday Liturgies in the Missalettes that we use. :cool:

It is a Labor of Love, I tell you. Some days, I have to offer it up to God! But, on a very selfish level, it's great to be able to go back to this later. The way I save the files, I can look the Readings up later should I want to use them for something else... or more likely, a discussion come up and I can say, 'we just read that in Mass... wait.. here it is' :thumbsup:

Why did you ask if I was planning the Mass? What do you mean when you say 'Planning'?
:confused:

Did you mean something like this?
Order of the Mass

Peace

Can you put another link for "order of the mass" this one didn't work.

Thank You!

Mea Culpa! I just switched over to working the midnight shift and my fingers apparently think it's past their bedtime. I edited the link on my previous post but I will include it here as well so you won't have to backtrack.

catholic-resources.org/ChurchDocs/Mass.htm

Thanks I found it as well.

This is very helpful for my RCIA class.

[quote="basenji, post:12, topic:181659"]

{Did you mean something like this?
Order of the Mass}

Mea Culpa! I just switched over to working the midnight shift and my fingers apparently think it's past their bedtime. I edited the link on my previous post but I will include it here as well so you won't have to backtrack.

[/quote]

This is a neat resource! I've saved it in my bookmarks for the RCIA at my church! :thumbsup:

But, alas, this is not what I am looking for. :(

For each of the (Daily) Masses, there are prayers that are done. Esp when you consider Masses for Memorials and Solemnities. These prayers I have in my old Missal (1975-1999) and that's fine, but I would much rather get it online so that I don't have to worry about typing errors. :p

[/quote]

This is not a helpful post by myself but:
1) the texts are under copyright, so finding a site that puts them online will be hard
2) outside days like Lent, there is a wide, WIDE variety of texts for the priest to choose from. Therefore it is quite impracticle, if not impossible, to list every possible option that the priest might use. On a weekday especially, not only can he choose the Mass of the day, but he also has liberty in choosing the texts of the Mass very often.

For example, all the Alleluia verses that can be said in Ordinary Time are substitutable among themselves. So really, through the whole of Ordinary Time you could just use one and it would be fine. You could mix them up in a random order and that would be fine. Most priests don't because they are too busy to bother fiddling about and choosing options.

Another example - suppose in OT we are celebrating a saint who was a layperson, non-martyr. The priest can choose from around 6 different Masses for "holy men and women", OR take some of the prayers from ANY of the Sundays in Ordinary Time (most weekday prayers come from the previous Sunday). If he deems it important, he can choose from a set of extra-solemn texts for the Entrance antiphons. Furthermore, within the 6 Masses, he can choose texts from any of them i.e. Entrance Antiphon from Mass 1, Communion antiphon from Mass 6.

[/quote]

I can't seem to find an online source either. Frustrating! I think you might just have to bite the bullet and buy something like Magnificat or a good Weekday Missal. Personally, I would go look for used copies of the New St. Joseph Weekday Missal Complete Edition ( it comes in 2 volumes). I know the new translation is coming but that is still a year or two away and if you use this missal regularly you'll still get good use out of it. It has practically all the priest's opening prayers, prayers over the gifts, prayers after communion, prefaces, solemn blessings, prayes over the people, etc. with their options.

I would try finding used copies through a site like Ebay or Bookfinder.com (bookfinder.com) . I found one of my missals in a thrift shop so I'd check out your local thrift stores and flea markets too. I'd even search a site like Book Mooch (bookmooch.com) and see if you can trade a couple of books you don't need anymore for the missals.

[quote="AJV, post:15, topic:181659"]
This is not a helpful post by myself but:
1) the texts are under copyright, so finding a site that puts them online will be hard

[/quote]

But the people that have it copywritten (like the USCCB for the Readings) could put it online. ;)

[quote="AJV, post:15, topic:181659"]
2) outside days like Lent, there is a wide, WIDE variety of texts for the priest to choose from. Therefore it is quite impracticle, if not impossible, to list every possible option that the priest might use. On a weekday especially, not only can he choose the Mass of the day, but he also has liberty in choosing the texts of the Mass very often.

[/quote]

Actually, if you go to the Catholic Calendar site, they have addressed the READINGS for the day, where there are so many different choices.

What I am talking about are the PRAYERS, for which there are not so many different choices each day. :(

The good thing is that I still have my hardcopy of the Daily Missal.

I wish they would get the new Missal avaiable, since my old copy is so ragged and worn out. :p

I think I found something useful. Check the Online Ministries homepage from Creighton University. Their pages for daily prayer include the opening prayer for Mass alongside a link to the day's readings. For instance, look at the page for today, Friday, January 8. It's not perfect because I don't see the priest's other prayers (the "closing prayer" in that link doesn't match the one from my missal), but at least now you can cut and paste the Opening Prayer from Mass on your computer :) .

[quote="Tepeyac, post:18, topic:181659"]
I think I found something useful. Check the Online Ministries homepage from Creighton University. Their pages for daily prayer include the opening prayer for Mass alongside a link to the day's readings. For instance, look at the page for today, Friday, January 8. It's not perfect because I don't see the priest's other prayers (the "closing prayer" in that link doesn't match the one from my missal), but at least now you can cut and paste the Opening Prayer from Mass on your computer :) .

[/quote]

:kiss4you:

[quote="Apryl, post:17, topic:181659"]
But the people that have it copywritten (like the USCCB for the Readings) could put it online. ;)

[/quote]

True but ICEL has not done his for some reason :( somewhat unfortunate, since the Latin texts is online and makes things os much easier for quick location.

Actually, if you go to the Catholic Calendar site, they have addressed the READINGS for the day, where there are so many different choices.

What I am talking about are the PRAYERS, for which there are not so many different choices each day. :(

I understand, and I was speaking as to the prayers. The priest does have a very, very wide choice, as I mentioned previously - however most priests go with what the "Ordo" recommends or suggests or what is most practical.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.