Online Sales for Girl Scout Cookies Are Approved

It’s now easier to get Thin Mints and Thanks-A-Lots.

After years of prohibiting Internet sales, the Girl Scouts of the U.S.A., the group’s national organization, has approved “Digital Cookie,” a platform for scouts to sell and ship the colorfully boxed cookies to friends and relatives around the country.

The expansion beyond traditional selling strategies like operating booths outside supermarkets, sending order forms into their parents’ workplaces and door-to-door canvassing is expected to increase the nearly $800 million raised in annual cookie sales. More than 80 percent of the two million girl scouts sell cookies every year, for about $4 a box, the national organization said.

No thanks…i’ll stick with non gmo cookies that don’t have trans fats, hfcs snd bleached flour.

Is GSA still giving to Planned Parenthood? If so, count me out. I’ll buy the cheaper alternatives in the grocery store.

I think it’s more fun to buy directly from the girls. They always look so excited to be doing the work.

This would be good for selling to family members and friends that are not near by though.

I won’t support those who support the organized slaughter of the unborn. Much as I love thin mints, count me out.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

From the GSUSA website:

Q: Does GSUSA have a relationship with Planned Parenthood?

A: No, Girl Scouts of the USA does not have a relationship or partnership with Planned Parenthood.

Since GSUSA is a charter-based organization (meaning it is very de-centralized), some of the local councils/troops have at times had some type of a relationship with their local Planned Parenthood. But that is not at the national level, nor is it true for most councils/troops.

That’s still enough of an association to warrant a cookie boycott in the mind of some, but we should be clear about the particulars rather than paint with too broad a brush.

Here is the most recent word from the USCCB (as of April 2014):

usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/who-we-teach/youth/catholic-scouting-questions.cfm

Note question #4.

I haven’t bought their cookies for many years but I do stop at the girls sales table and give them a donation as long as they promise me it stays right there in their troupe. I tell them why I won’t buy the cookies too. It’s not the girls fault what the big-wigs do and most of the cookie money goes to the big-wigs anyway. If a young girl tells me she supports abortion, I always ask her, .“Aren’t you glad your mother didn’t get an abortion with you.” Don’t you think every baby deserves that chance? God Bless, Memaw

From the girlscout.org site:

"Q: What is GSUSA’s relationship with the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts?

A: The World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS) comprises 145 member organizations that promote mutual understanding and cross-cultural opportunities for girls around the world. Girl Scouts of the USA is one of the 145 member organizations."

From the WAGGGS website (in their worldwide goals section):

“Currently, 200 million women have an unmet need for safe and effective contraceptive devices.”

Draw your own conclusions…

Apart from any other considerations, the number of cookies in a box has been decreasing for the last few years. The ratio between cookies and the plastic tray has been getting crazy. Not gonna pay shipping on top of all that.

USCCB releases resource guide on Girl Scouts for Catholic parishes

WASHINGTON (CNS) – Responding to concerns about Catholic involvement with Girl Scouts, a U.S. bishops’ committee released key points from its dialogue with Girl Scout leaders outlining major concerns of church leaders and the national organization’s responses.

The aim of the resource, issued April 2 by the bishops’ Committee on Laity, Marriage, Family Life and Youth, was not to support or oppose Catholic involvement with Girl Scouts of the USA, known as GSUSA, but to provide local bishops, pastors, youth leaders and parents with necessary information to determine their level of involvement.

Catholics have been affiliated with Girl Scouts for 100 years and there are an estimated 400,000 Catholic girls among the nation’s 3 million Girl Scouts. In the past few years, questions about the organization have sparked online discussions, boycotts of Girl Scout cookies and the ousting of troops from Catholic parishes.

Concerns have been raised about the Girl Scouts’ relationship with Planned Parenthood and the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts, known as WAGGGS. There also have been questions about the organization’s policy on human sexuality and contraception and its program materials and resources.

The bishops’ committee spent one year gathering information about concerns and another year in dialogue with Girl Scout leaders in an effort to clarify the issues.

“The exchanges between USCCB staff and GSUSA staff were pleasant, informative and respectful. GSUSA staff was generous with their time, indicated a strong desire and willingness to work more closely with the Catholic Church in the United States,” said the committee, noting that the resource materials are not only posted on the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops website, www.usccb.org, but also the Girl Scouts site, www.girlscouts.org.

In providing the information it obtained, the committee said the decision for Catholics to participate or not in Girl Scouts is a local one and that “diocesan bishops have the final authority over what is appropriate for Catholic Scouting in their dioceses.”

Read the rest: catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/1401474.htm

GSUSA and Catholic Church Relationship
Girl Scouts of the USA is proud of its 100-year relationship with the Catholic Church and is very pleased the US Conference of Catholic Bishops has included on its website pages titled “Questions and Answers About Girl Scouts of the USA and About Catholic Scouting” and “Background on Girl Scouts of the USA and USCCB Conversations.” The following documents and resources will help you better understand GSUSA’s relationship with the Catholic Church and gain useful information about some of our programs.

A lot of resources here: girlscouts.org/program/basics/faith/catholic_church_relationship.asp

And from the US Catholic Bishops:
usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/who-we-teach/youth/catholic-scouting-questions.cfm

:thumbsup:

Criticizing GSUSA for what WAGGGS does would be like criticizing the U.S. for something the UN does. Sure, they are a member. But membership does not imply endorsement of every thing they say and do.

I think we can do better than guilt-by-association. :shrug:

Never have liked them.

Are you bringing up the topic of abortion with local girl scouts? Why?

Other connections are more problematic, such as when various councils partnered with Planned Parenthood on their “Real Life. Real Talk” or “Nobody’s Fool” sex-education programs, as did councils in New York, Texas and Arizona.

In an annual report, Planned Parenthood of Western New York listed Girl Scouts of Western New York as a “community partner.”

ncregister.com/daily-news/is-the-girl-scouts-safe-for-catholic-girls#ixzz3KmYzhrQf

This debate arises every time the topic of Girl Scouts comes up. If someone can not support the girls in good conscience, I understand. I do not believe the connection to have any substance, so I am still good to go on my Thin Mints. :thumbsup:

How do you think the national office is funded?

The issue isn’t with the national office – it’s with local councils that choose to be allied with Planned Parenthood. If one knows that his or her local council is not supportive of PP, I can’t see any reason not to support local Girl Scouts.

I thought the primary purpose was as a teaching tool.
The girls were learning to run their small enterprise and be accountable. To me, selling online circumvents this aspect.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.