Only one person can win the race

only one person can win a race so why did Paul use that anology…only one person can win the prize…it’s not like only one will be saved …or a limited amount will be saved…if everyone repented all would be saved, we’re not in a competition among eachother.
so why does 1corintians 9:24 say “Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize”

We don’t run against each other, But each of us are running a race against the Evil One. Those who lose to him lose not just a race, but their salvation.

I agree. We are each running a race and want to finish with gusto. Not against each other, but against our fallen nature.

I agree that the race is against the evil one. It is also against self, who the evil one tempts to look away from God the Father who is love.
Remember “Man is at enmity with God”, and as fallen man, we all have the powerful and selfish man of the flesh that is opposing God’s Love [in favor of self’s desires] at every turn.

:gopray::blush:
I think it means Truth is not easy to find; I knew that Truth is not easy to find.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.