Only one reading and the Gospel? Daily Mass

I’m new to daily Mass so this may be a stupid question.
Actually, my parish only offers daily Mass twice a week and I can only make it to one of these so it is more like an extra Mass a week than daily.

Here’s the question:
Last week on the Feast of the Transfiguration everything was normal meaning first reading, psalm, second reading, gospel.
Today there was only the first reading, psalm, and gospel.
Why wasn’t there a second reading?

Weekday Masses only have two readings unless it’s a Feast or Solemnity.

In the Lectionary, there is one less reading for daily Masses. It was different on the Transfiguration because it is a Feast of the Lord. (You probably also recited or sang the Gloria on that day.)

Thank you. I figured it was the simple but I wasn’t sure.
I love this forum. :slight_smile:

If you don’t have a Daily Missal to follow along with, the easy way to tell if the Mass is a Feast Day or a Solemnity is by the colour of the priest’s vestments. The normal colour for this liturgical season is green. If he is wearing white it is a Feast Day or a Solemnity. He will wear red if it is the feast day of a martyr.

When I first started going to Daily Mass this confused me a bit too haha, so don’t worry. :).

He may wear different colors if he celebrates the Memorial or even on Optional Memorial. Our pastor wore red today for Saints Pontain and Hippolytus, though that is only an Optional Memorial. We use the readings from Thursday of the 19th week, but I assume he used the other propers [prayers] from the optional mass. [Between my bad hearing, his accent, and our sound system I have little idea of what is said.]

That’s interesting. Personally I haven’t seen any priest wear any colour other than that of the liturgical season for anything but a Solemnity or Feast Day. This morning, the pastor wore green Our readings were different from those given by the USCCB for August 13. They were: Ex.3: 13-20
Ps. 105
Mt. 11: 28-30

Do you know the source for these? I’m having some difficulty cross-referencing them. Since you have the chapter & verse, I’m guessing you wrote it down (or have an incredible memory!)

Some obvious options would be common of martyrs or pastors, but I couldn’t locate them there. On a weekday in Ordinal time, there is a lot of flexibility to choose different readings other than the ones specifically for that week–it depends on the day, and the other choices for Mass texts made by the celebrant.

Likewise, there’s a certain flexibility when it comes to liturgical colors. On optional memorials, the priest can wear either the color of the season or the color of the day–especially if he chooses a votive Mass.

Yesterday my priest was wearing the alb and a green stole and the was it (well he was wearing street close under that) no chasuble. Is that common?

In case you don’t know
alb - full length white linen robe
stole -long, narrow strip of cloth which hangs from the priest’s neck
chasuble - sleeveless garment worn over all the other vestments

I don’t think he ever wears the cincture (rope belt tied around the waist of the alb).

The priest must wear the chasuble. Redemptionis Sacramentum states:

“The vestment proper to the Priest celebrant at Mass, and in other sacred actions directly connected with Mass unless otherwise indicated, is the chasuble, worn over the alb and stole. Likewise the Priest, in putting on the chasuble according to the rubrics, is not to omit the stole. All Ordinaries should be vigilant in order that all usage to the contrary be eradicated” (123).

The only times when a chasuble may not be worn by a priest celebrating Mass would be if he were concelebrating a Mass and were not the principal celebrant and it were absolutely necessary that this be done “for a just reason” (Redemptionis Sacramentum 124). Other conceivable reasons not to wear a chasuble would be when Mass is celebrated in extremely hot conditions (thus, to prevent heat stroke) or when no chasuble is available like in a military Mass.

Alternatively, the cincture serves a more strictly functional purpose. Redemptionis Sacramentum states:

“The alb” is “to be tied at the waist with a cincture unless it is made so as to fit even without a cincture" (212).

I love the Catholic Church and know it is the one, true Church started by Christ but sometimes I just wish our priests would remember catholic means UNIVERSAL and quite confusing me.:frowning:
passus** what is the Redemptionis Sacramentum?

Now I don’t know whether to ask my priest about the chasuble (he is always very accommodating to my questions about the rubric) or just keep my mouth shut for a couple of weeks and see if it is a regular occurrence or just keep my mouth shut because it isn’t that important or my place to point things out :confused: :confused: :confused:

Redemptionis Sacramentum is the authoritative document of the Holy See, signed off by two Congregations, including the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, as well as the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, that was promulgated (signed off on) by Pope John Paul II in 2004. This document addresses the matter of abuses that have crept into the Mass. While it would be impossible to address every single abuse, it manages to cover a wide berth. You can read the document at:

adoremus.org/RedemptionisSacramentum.html

I hope this helps.

In some ways yes, in some ways no.
I now know where to look for addressing of abuses but I now know of more ‘abuses’ my priest does on a regular basis. I think I will start another thread entitled “Mass abuses - what’s my responsibility?”

My memory is good but not that good! Normally I have the monthly Living With Christ Missal that I use to follow along with the daily readings but I forgot to order one for August. Luckily. all the readings for each week are posted in the parish’s Sunday bulletin so that’s why I could remember what they were for yesterday. I like to read them again before going to bed. It seems that the Canadian lectionary differs at times from that authorized by the USCCB.
Today, on the Memorial of St. Maximillian Kolbe, the pastor wore red vestments, the altar cloth was red as was the sanctuary veil and the readings were:
Jos. 24:1-13
Ps.136
Mt.19: 3-12

Actually, there are two options for Memorials (including optional ones). You can either do the readings of the day (the saint’s feast) or the readings for that particular day of the Week. However, on certain Memorials, such as the ones for Sts. Mary Magdalene and Martha, the Gospel proper to the Memorial is obligatory.

In today’s case, my parochial vicar chose the option of the reading from the Book of Wisdom and the Gospel according to St. John.

According to the Liturgical calendar posted at my parish, today,August 14th, the Feast of St. Maximillian Kolbe is an obligatory Memorial, not an optional one.

I don’t think you quite understood my post. For memorials (obligatory or memorial), the celebrant could very well use the readings proper to the occasion or he could use those for the given weekday. Now, there are cases when a particular Memorial carries with it an obligatory Gospel reading, such as what happened last month with the feasts of Sts Mary Magdalene and Martha. Each had an obligatory Gospel for her particular Memorial.

Now, the national episcpal conferences do have a multi-volume set Lectionary that contains all of the readings, including those for the Memorials of the saints (obligatory or optional). The United States has a four-volume set and the Episcopal Conference of Mexico has a three-volume version. Both versions also contain the Sunday readings. You might ask your pastor if he has the full set. If he does not, perhaps y’all can get together and solicit donations to procure one. That is what I did for the Cursillo Center down here.

Oh, I understood your post very well. Also, I’m quite sure that my pastor understands all the ins and outs of what readings are obligatory and which are optional. I was merely stating what readings were said at my parish Mass this morning and that our calendar says that today is an obligatory Memorial.
My pastor does have the full Lectionary as authorized by the CCCB. The new revised edition was given to him last Christmas by our CWL.

You’re both right.

The memorial of St. Maximillian is obligatory, but the readings can be either weekday or those of the saint.

Having an obligatory memorial does not necessarily mean that the gospel itself is obligatory. So there’s no conflict between a obligatory memorial and the readings of Friday week 19.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.