Ontario Catholic churches locked, beer and pot stores stay open

Ontario Catholic churches locked, beer and pot stores stay open

It is not clear at this point exactly what health authority ordered the closure of churches in particular regions, and specifically in Toronto.

Wed Mar 25, 2020 By Lianne Laurence.

TORONTO, March 25, 2020 (LifeSiteNews) — At least four Ontario Catholic archdioceses — including the province’s largest dioceses of Ottawa and Toronto — have locked their churches indefinitely in the face of the Wuhan flu pandemic even as the province’s pot, beer, and liquor stores remain open.

Premier Doug Ford’s government ordered a mandatory shutdown of all non-essential services that begins at midnight March 24 and will last at least 14 days, and which exempts 74 businesses or services deemed “essential” — including beer stores, the provincial Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO) outlets, and cannabis stores. . . . .

1 Like

I’ve never heard of this before, but related:

So what? That can be worked around without
keeping pot stores and liquor stores open
for transmission of viral pestilence.

Governments do so already with methadone programs.

I’m sorry ThinkingSapien but the rationale of your article is terrible.

Isn’t that for opioid addictions (ex: heroine, opium, morphine)? I don’t think methadone goes well with alcohol.

I’ve never heard of alcohol being essential myself. While driving to a pharmacy earlier today I was a bit surprised to see the lot in the alcohol store full. Then again the bars were just closed yesterday. I guess people are going to stock up for the coming weeks.

ThinkingSapien (on my comment about logistics) . . .

I don’t think methadone goes well with alcohol.

You can tell you’re in a “serious” discussion when the premise is not even attempted to be addressed.

Are you talking about the church closures?

Much like sporting events and conferences, the closing of churches has become more common place during this pandemic.

I can’t help but question why fast food locations are still open, as that could offer a significant vector for the spread of the infection.

The alcohol store articles were interesting. Pot is not addictive in the same way of course. Do they sell pot via drive through?

I don’t know. I had never heard of drive through marijuana sales. I did a quicknsesrch and I found a few in the USA. Not sure if there are any in Canada.

I agree that liquor stores need to remain open. The last thing that needs to be added onto the medical community right now is a deluge of alcoholics being forced into the hospitals with alcohol withdrawals. And I agree that Churches of all faiths need to close for now

1 Like

In what way can alcohol withdrawal be “worked around?” For addicted individuals alcohol withdrawal frequently requires an in hospital admission for management of delirium tremens, some people develop full blown seizures for their withdrawals. I’m an ICU Nurse and have taken care of patients Who are going through alcohol withdrawal. They can not be flippinantly dismissed as just needing to be “worked around.” These patients are some of the most challenging patients to take care of because of their seizures. They require very very very high doses of benzodiazepines that most certainly can not be given in an outpatient setting. This idea of closing the liquor stores, and forced alcohol withdrawal is by far the last thing to be added onto the shoulders of nurses, and doctors. And it is most certainly not right to force someone to go through the experience of alcohol withdrawal. Alcohol withdrawal is dangerous and needs close monitoring in a medical setting.

1 Like

Maybe beer and pot stores can fit far fewer people than most churches?

In the US:

"(AP) — In some parts of the United states, authorities say gun shops aren’t essential businesses and should close during stay-at-home orders meant to slow the coronavirus. In other places, officials are stopping background checks for concealed carry permits. Elsewhere, city leaders have invoked emergency powers allowing bans on gun sales.

As the nation grapples with a pandemic that has upended daily life, many gun rights advocates are concerned about an erosion of Second Amendment rights, and Americans are buying firearms in record numbers to try to ensure their safety."

Allie1 . . .

In what way can alcohol withdrawal be “worked around?”

Well think about it.

In what way HAS opiod withdrawal be “worked around already?”

Why risk further perpetuation of a pandemic for booze?

Seriously?

If they need their booze that bad, can’t you think of ANYTHING outside of trafficking high amounts of people through liquor stores?

I can think of a couple of things off hand, but I want you to come up with the answer to your own question as I think it will be stronger for you.

They require very very very high doses of benzodiazepines that most certainly can not be given in an outpatient setting.

So you think copious amounts of self-medicated booze is the answer?

Nepperhan . . . .

Maybe beer and pot stores can fit far fewer people than most churches?

Bold mine.

So what?

Do you have an issue with Church-going?

So there’s less chance for spreading disease. There’s not a large amalgamation of people in a liquor store as there can be in a church. Maybe the ban is not about why people are congregating. The difference may be in the number of congregants. This thread seems a quick donning of the victim’s cloak when the subject of attending church was not involved.

What I do or don’t do is not a subject of this thread.

Cathoholic to Nepperham as Nepperham is all for closing Churches but leaving liquor stores open apparently . . .

So what?

Do you have an issue with Church-going?

Nepperham’s response?

So there’s less chance for spreading disease.

How do you know?

There’s not a large amalgamation of people in a liquor store as there can be in a church.

Baloney.

This thread seems a quick donning of the victim’s cloak when the subject of attending church was not involved.

Ya know Nepperham. This is just what I expected.

A big nuthin muffin then start criticizing the idea of “attending church”.

Your arguments just are not persuasive.

I criticized personalizing the discussion, if you noted. I said nothing on the idea of “attending church”. If you noted.

What I say is not persuasive? The smallest congregation I have seen around here has about 50 people on a Sunday. The largest liquor store in this area can fit in maybe 25 folks at a time. I guess you just don’t want to be persuaded. That is a different issue.

Nepperham (here) . . .

I said nothing on the idea of “attending church”. If you noted.

Nepperham (here) . . .

This thread seems a quick donning of the victim’s cloak when the subject of attending church was not involved.

Bold mine.

To the readers here. Draw your own conclusions.

Yes, for people with alcohol dependency, then consuming alcohol will prevent the dangerous process of alcohol withdrawal. There is simply no way for people to go through it safely outside of a medical setting.

1 Like

Allie1 . . .

There is simply no way for people to go through it safely outside of a medical setting.

Then WHY ask for them to go through it via the liquor store and their apartment or home, or on the street?

Then state your off hand things. Alcohol withdrawal is dangerous it must be done in a medical setting.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.