Ooops!

I e-mailed the preist at my parish and asked when I could go to my first Confession and would be better if he and I could meet one on one instead of having to go on a Saturday ('cause it might take me a whole day to confess!).

He said this Friday the 4th! Isn’t that too early? I should’ve waited to e-mail later, eh? Oops!

[quote=Paris Blues]I e-mailed the preist at my parish and asked when I could go to my first Confession and would be better if he and I could meet one on one instead of having to go on a Saturday ('cause it might take me a whole day to confess!).

He said this Friday the 4th! Isn’t that too early? I should’ve waited to e-mail later, eh? Oops!
[/quote]

ehh, it’s never to early to confess. I am myself am a little eager to go to my first confession and get all my past wrongs off and out.

[quote=Montie Claunch]ehh, it’s never to early to confess. I am myself am a little eager to go to my first confession and get all my past wrongs off and out.
[/quote]

Oh, well, he e-mailed me back and my first confession will be on the 18th, two days before my Confirmation!

See, if I went on the 4th, what if I committed another sin before my Confirmation? Then would have to go again, and again, etc.

My First confession had a big “ooops”…I was 15 and made a nice long list on a piece of paper so that I would be sure not to forget anything. I had no idea that there were no lights in the confessional:eek: . Needles to say I was mortified that I would not be able to remember something important. The priest was most understanding. I was in tears then but today I laugh about the whole thing:rotfl: . I do not know if anyone is ever ready in their minds for their first confession. Do not worry: God is ready!

KB

[quote=Paris Blues]I e-mailed the preist at my parish and asked when I could go to my first Confession and would be better if he and I could meet one on one instead of having to go on a Saturday ('cause it might take me a whole day to confess!).

[/quote]

A good confession, even if it your first one, should not take too long, maybe 30 minutes at most. A normal Confession should only take 5 or 10 minutes. The priest does not want to hear every nitty gritty detail. You simply confess the sin and the number of times you have committed it, to the best of your recollection. If the priest wants to know more about a particular sin he will ask. Don’t worry if you (genuinely) forget some sins. They are also forgiven along with the ones you do confess but should at least be mentioned at your next Confession.

[quote=Heart Of Mary]My First confession had a big “ooops”…I was 15 and made a nice long list on a piece of paper so that I would be sure not to forget anything. I had no idea that there were no lights in the confessional:eek: . Needles to say I was mortified that I would not be able to remember something important. The priest was most understanding. I was in tears then but today I laugh about the whole thing:rotfl: . I do not know if anyone is ever ready in their minds for their first confession. Do not worry: God is ready!

KB
[/quote]

WHAT? No lights??? You mean you sit in the dark? Is this true?

You know, there may have been some sort of secondary light in there, but truly - there was no way to read anything…KB

[quote=Heart Of Mary]You know, there may have been some sort of secondary light in there, but truly - there was no way to read anything…KB
[/quote]

That doesn’t make sense! The priest has to see you! That’s why you can either “hide” behind that thing or sit face to face with the priest.

That doesn’t seem right to me. This was never mentioned during RCIA.

[quote=Paris Blues]Oh, well, he e-mailed me back and my first confession will be on the 18th, two days before my Confirmation!

See, if I went on the 4th, what if I committed another sin before my Confirmation? Then would have to go again, and again, etc.
[/quote]

Venial sins are forgiven at each mass. Not a problem. Now, if you kill someone, that’s a whole other story! :smiley:

[quote=Paris Blues]That doesn’t make sense! The priest has to see you! That’s why you can either “hide” behind that thing or sit face to face with the priest.

[/quote]

Actually the priest does not have to see you except through a screen which was my case (I actaully know of no rule that says the one confessing must be visible to the priest). There was a small room next to where the priest sat and that was where the one confessing kneeled. That was the way things were done and still can be if one so desires. I am not sure what you mean “hide behind that hing” - can you please explain? Just because one does not confess face to face does NOT mean they are hiding.

KB

[quote=Heart Of Mary]Actually the priest does not have to see you except through a screen which was my case (I actaully know of no rule that says the one confessing must be visible to the priest). There was a small room next to where the priest sat and that was where the one confessing kneeled. That was the way things were done and still can be if one so desires. I am not sure what you mean “hide behind that hing” - can you please explain? Just because one does not confess face to face does NOT mean they are hiding.

KB
[/quote]

Well, you see, our RCIA group had a tour of the parish and our director showed us the Confessionals. Inside was two chairs that the preist and the penitent could sit, therefore, they could see eachother. When you walked in, there was this “screen” thing where you would kneel BUT the preist can’t see you behind it but he can hear your voice obviously. That’s what I meant by “thing”

Sorry! :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey - no problem! I am guessing that there are many “environments” where one can confess - the iportant thing is that you confess - not where you confess!

KB

[quote=Paris Blues]That doesn’t make sense! The priest has to see you! That’s why you can either “hide” behind that thing or sit face to face with the priest.

[/quote]

I’ve been in confessionals with lots of light, a little light, and no light at all. Typically in the no light confessionals, there is a screen in the door that allows light (not much) in from the church. If your taking a list, you may want to research the lighting situation before you go in or you will be forced to go off of memory.

John

[quote=John Joseph]I’ve been in confessionals with lots of light, a little light, and no light at all. Typically in the no light confessionals, there is a screen in the door that allows light (not much) in from the church. If your taking a list, you may want to research the lighting situation before you go in or you will be forced to go off of memory.

John
[/quote]

Yeah. Check out the lighting situation again. My church has plenty of light in the confessional, as there is a little window in it and then an overhead light for the evenings. The other parish I go to has a dim yellow-y light but you can still see, the room is much bigger as well.

If it’s too dim to read, just do your absolute best off memory. Study your list.

:slight_smile:

[quote=Paris Blues]WHAT? No lights??? You mean you sit in the dark? Is this true?
[/quote]

One time I went to confession and it was pitch black dark. I mean total darkness.

closed #16

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.