Open heart surgery question & prayer request

There is a greater than 90% chance that my father will have to have open heart surgery in the upcoming months. He will need a valve replacement.

Does anyone know here how complicated this surgery is? Also, has anyone here had this surgery or know someone that has?

Please pray for him.

In major medical centers these procedures have become virtually routine, and in the hands of a good surgeon the outcome is usually excellent.

A good cardiologist determines carefully the precise point at which surgery is advisable: you don’t want to be premature because there are lifestyle changes afterward and issues regarding the lifespan of the valve itself, if it is a pig valve rather than a mechanical one.

Find peope who have had valve replacement surgey and talk to them. Certain mechanical valves can be quite noisy and this drives people batty. Pig valves are silent but not as durable. . . . There is no single answer to your question but if you look around, you will find a lot of information.

You could start here:

heartcenteronline.com/myheartdr/Articles_about_the_heart/The_Heart_Valve_Center.html?WT.srch=1&OVRAW=heart%20valve%20replacement&OVKEY=heart%20valve%20replacement&OVMTC=standard

But you have probably already found internet resources on your own.
Godspeed.

I am definitely praying for your father that at first he may not need surgery but if he does, I pray that God bless him and the doctors who will be performing the procudure, that your father will be blessed by God and keep him safe and healthy and a speedy recovery

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,The Lord is with Thee.
Blessed art thou amongst women, and
Blessed is the Fruit of thy womb Jesus.
Holy Mary Mother of God,
Pray for us Sinners, now and at the our of death. Amen

Keep your head up, Believe Miracles do happen, God Bless you

Father God, I pray for James_2:24’s father and lift him up to You. Bless this father with Your mighty healing power so that he may be restored to good health. Guide and bless his doctors so that they may be able to determine the best possible course of treatment for him and may they heal him with a portion of Your wisdom and healing power. Bless their family with the graces they need to get through this health condition. AMEN.

Hail Mary...

Amen.

Mother Mary, please make your intentions in this matter come true. Amen.

Remembering your father in my daily prayers. May God bless you both :slight_smile:

Praying hard for your father.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.