Open Letter to Pope Benedict XVI

Here’s the link.

islamicamagazine.com/online-analysis/open-letter-to-his-holiness-pope-benedict-xvi.html

At the end of the article are two links to the letter in its entirety.

What do you think?

I am still digesting it, but as an initial reaction I am impressed. The list of signatories is quite impressive as well.

I cannot help thinking I wish those people who signed the letter were in charge in Iran and Lebanon, for starters.

I’d have to say the same thing.

Taqiyah! :slight_smile:

How convenient! You have an explanation that completely insulates your prejudices from any contact with reality.

This is exactly what Protestants used to say about Catholics. Whenever Catholics said things that didn’t fit the Protestant stereotype, the Protestants would say “Catholics think it’s OK to lie to heretics, and therefore we can’t believe you.”

I suggest that you pay more attention to 1 Cor. 13. “Charity believes all things.” This is hardly very difficult in this case, actually, if you aren’t totally blinded by prejudice. There is no good reason to suspect that the statements of these eminent Islamic figures are anything but sincere. But even if you had some grounds for suspicion, you would be commanded by the law of charity to give them the benefit of the doubt. (And no, I don’t mean that we should be totally trusting and naive. But your groundless paranoia is a blatant violation of the law of charity.)

Edwin

Sounds like the pope made a few mistakes. :stuck_out_tongue:

While I obviously don’t agree with the Islamic religion, I must say that this is a very positive development. This is very open and admirable of them to dialog and condemn violence (like the murder of the nun in Somalia) as “un-Islamic”.

Now, hopefully all the idiots in the streets will listen to men like these and cool off.

Have they removed the fatwa calling for the assassination of the Pope??

Were they the ones who issued the fatwa?

Edwin

Whoever! When it is removed, I may believe that statements like these are sincere, but then again, talk is cheap!

what fatwa?

nm. found it.

The Markaz-ud-Dawa, the political wing of the Lashkar-e-Tayiba, is reported to have issued a fatwa calling upon Muslims to kill Pope Benedict XVI for his September 12 speech, which has been projected as anti-Islam by Al Qaeda and other jihadi terrorist organisations.
The Markaz was acting on behalf of the International Islamic Front for Jihad Against the Crusaders and the Jewish People, which is headed by Osama bin Laden.

Not sure what that has to do with the open letter to the Pope, however.

Isn’t that like holding Catholics responsible for some crazy statement made by Jerry Falwell?

Your position makes no sense at all. You’re just looking for excuses to avoid dealing with this very thought-provoking statement.

Edwin

What thought provoking statement? That there is no compulsion in religion?? Personally I don’t believe anything they say. They tell us what we want to hear!

Actions speak a lot louder than words!

And as for your calling Cyber Knight “paranoid”, she lives in an area dominated by Islam!

That’s been my main experience with Muslims as well. They will just tell you what they think you want to hear. I’m really surprised others here haven’t noticed it already. On the other hand, I refused to believe this for a long time myself.

So why did you come to believe such a thing? What overwhelming weight of experience forced you into such a soul-destroying state of cynicism?

Edwin

I deleted my answer to you, because I wanted to reread the whole letter and there’s nothing there thought provoking! There’s nothing new, it’s the same old tired chestnuts! I’ve heard all that before and stated about the same way. They all sound the same! And they tell us what we want to hear! Window dressing, that’s all it is!

And as for saying that Cyber Knight is “paranoid”, she lives in a country dominated by Islam!

Let’s see what happens the next time that a public figure makes the slightest criticism of Islam!

If by “cynicism” you mean coming to terms with reality, then guilty as charged.

It’s a long story, but basically my first roommate in college turned out to be a Muslim (this was before 9/11 mind you) and so through him I had my first contact with Islam. At first I didn’t see anything right away, and even when 9/11 hit I remember thinking what a shame it was that a few extremists gave this whole religion a bad name. I started to get to know other Muslims around here and so it has been until today. Knowing Muslims in my own life also led me to start researching it online, and talking to other Muslims online as well. I also started talking online to non-muslims who lived in Islamic countries.

Did you need more specific details, then? Just what kind of proof are you looking for? It sounds like you have already convinced yourself that anyone who dares speak negatively of Islam must be doing so out of pure bigotry. If that’s the case there’s really nothing I can do.

I dont really have problem with protestants. My problem is Islam. I have seen hundreds of ‘nice’ muslims with evil in their hearts. Sometimes you, Contarini, must become the victim of their hatred first so you may understand why I dont believe for whatever this taqiyans have said. Pull out your head out of the sand of ‘pcness’ once in a while, its nice to know the real world ya know.

Ciao!

I don’t see the comparison. Islam actually teaches that it is O.K. to lie or use deception in dealing with the non-believer if it serves the purpose of the Muslim at the time. Muslims who post here have admitted that.

The Pope made no mistakes. Notice this dialogue didn’t start until after they had some riots and a few murders. Now suddenly they want to talk. How nice. However, Jihad does mean holy war and they do practice forced conversion. Remember, they called on the Pope to convert or be killed? That was just last month. Who do they think they are fooling? How about Rahman being told he must die for converting? No compulsion in religion? Right. Let’s see those who signed it actually take action against Islamic terrorism. Then maybe I will believe them.

PS: I especially was amused by the Saudi that signed. Had to take time out from persecuting Christians in the KSA. If he invites me to say Mass there it will be a sign they are serious.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.