Opening a business on Sunday?

I was wondering if a Catholic who had a restaurant could open it on Sundays as well and make employees work on that day? Because in the catechism it mentions going out to restaurants is ok, I don’t remember exactly what it says but what about opening your business that is a restaurant on that day if you are a practicing catholic? or does it refer only to non-catholics?
This is pure discussion. I just always wondered about this.

The Catechism:

2187 Sanctifying Sundays and holy days requires a common effort. Every Christian should avoid making unnecessary demands on others that would hinder them from observing the Lord’s Day. Traditional activities (sport, restaurants, etc.), and social necessities (public services, etc.), require some people to work on Sundays, but everyone should still take care to set aside sufficient time for leisure. With temperance and charity the faithful will see to it that they avoid the excesses and violence sometimes associated with popular leisure activities. In spite of economic constraints, public authorities should ensure citizens a time intended for rest and divine worship. Employers have a similar obligation toward their employees.

My friend’s family owns a diner and their best business is on Sunday. It’s a conundrum. They aren’t wealthy by any means so the income is needed, yet they get absolutely no family or God time on Sunday. By the time they close up, they are exhausted.

People need to eat on Sundays too. It can also be a form of family togetherness and recreation for many. :slight_smile:

My family owned a catering and grocery store business. For the catering side of the house, Sundays are the busiest times and the most lucrative as well.

If you are living as a Catholic there would be two factors

An assumption there is time that your employees may attend church and have some family time.

Also that working for you is not hell on earth :slight_smile:

In that a restaurant job is still a job, but so is cooking for your family “work” if you are a good Catholic, working for you in a restaurant should not be misery inducing…

And there may be legal issues in some aspects of certain things… but I read that one burger place… I think checkers or jack in the box… or one of those founders has prayer in the beginning of shift etc…

If you have an emoloyee whose work on sunday would be particularly problematic I would say that is where christian charity comes in over the almighty dollar etc…

That is my $0.02

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.