and the love of God,
and the communion of the Holy Spirit
be with you all.,

He said,
The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ,
and the love of God,
and the JOY:eek: of the Holy Spirit
be with you all.

Is this liturgical abuse or what? I am sick and tired of priests improvising in the Liturgy.
He also used a glass paten

Re: Opening greeting of Mass /ning the priest, instead of saying in the opening greeting

and the love of God,
and the communion of the Holy Spirit
be with you all.,

He said,
and the love of God,
and the JOY:eek: of the Holy Spirit
be with you all.

Is this liturgical abuse or what? I am sick and tired of priests improvising in the Liturgy.

“Abuse” implies deliberate tinkering with the liturgy. You don’t give your reasons for believing this was not a one-time error. Have you spoken with the priest, or are you making an assumption?

You say “this morning,” not “at every Mass.” The word abuse implies deliberate tinkering with the liturgy, not a one-time error. Have you asked the priest about it?

Maybe he is tired of our liturgical abuses, as you call them. When we sing, are we just mouthing it or, do we let ‘the others’ voices carry us or, do we swallow our pride and sing with ‘joy’ the prayer; all the verses called for? When the Eucharist is held before us, both times during the sacrifice as well as prior to receiving it, do we bow deeply with ‘joy’, to even be in the presence or do we bend our neck a little? During the Alleluia and the reading, do we bow our heads with joy to The Word as it is carried before us and stand erect, full facing the Word during the reading? Or, do we lean on the pew in front of us, continuing to face the front of the church? Do we joyously recite the prayers after Communion or, do we kneel and watch who is present at Mass, wearing what, with whom, looking how, etc. During the singing after the conclusion of Mass, do we joyously sing through all the verses, with love and gratitude in our hearts or, do we look at our watches and wait with angst to get on with our day? I have been guilty of at least one of the above at least once a week at Mass. I cannot find fault then with my priest if he tries to bring me more joy during the joyous occasion of celebrating the Mass.

It's the message and intent not the words. So no worries.

We have incorporated words from old and new missal for our service after so many complaints.

Peace and keep celebrating our God.

That’s appalling!:eek:

Let’s assume that he slipped up unintentionally, out of fatigue, etc and ask him he would permit you to raise money after Mass (bake sale?) for a gold paten. Try to pray for him in your daily prayers, especially the rosary.

I think this is a slight overreaction.

He substitutes one word one time in something relatively unimportant, and you accuse him of deliberately monkeying with the liturgy.

Hmm…

[quote="Dubay, post:5, topic:301050"]
It's the message and intent not the words. So no worries.

[/quote]

Wrong. It's both. Words matter, and the missal matters. The Mass is not ours to tinker with.

Not saying we should lambast him if he made a mistake, but nevertheless, it shouldn't have been done, mistake or not.

Is it possible that he just misspoke? That happens, you know. If the priest is doing this on a consistant basis, it’s probably on purpose, but if it just happened today, then I wouldn’t worry about it.

[quote="Allegra, post:10, topic:301050"]
Is it possible that he just misspoke? That happens, you know. If the priest is doing this on a consistant basis, it's probably on purpose, but if it just happened today, then I wouldn't worry about it.

[/quote]

The glass paten also raises questions about his attitude to the rubrics. Not dismissing your point, just saying that I'd lean toward it being intentional, given the paten.

[quote="superamazingman, post:9, topic:301050"]
Wrong. It's both. Words matter, and the missal matters. The Mass is not ours to tinker with.

Not saying we should lambast him if he made a mistake, but nevertheless, it shouldn't have been done, mistake or not.

[/quote]

Respectfully diagree,

Over reaction and missing the point on a great day celebrating mass today over a couple words. I think our heart and forgiveness should be greater.

Feel free to disagree if you wish, but do know you’re disagreeing with the church herself, and Vatican II (see the first quote), not just me.

Sacrosanctum Concilium art. 22.3 (1963)
o Therefore no other person, even if he be a priest, may add, remove, or change anything in the liturgy on his own authority.

Canon 846.1 (1983)
o The liturgical books approved by the competent authority are to be faithfully observed in the celebration of the sacraments; therefore no one on personal authority may add, remove or change anything in them.

Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1125 (1992)
o For this reason no sacramental rite may be modified or manipulated at the will of the minister or the community. Even the supreme authority of the Church may not change the liturgy arbitrarily, but only in obedience of faith and with religious respect for the mystery of the liturgy.

General Instruction of the Roman Missal, no. 24 (2003)
o Nevertheless, the priest must remember that he is the servant of the Sacred Liturgy and that he himself is not permitted, on his own initiative, to add, to remove, or to change anything in the celebration of Mass.

Redemptionis Sacramentum, nos. 31, 51, 59 (2004)
o They ought not to detract from the profound meaning of their own ministry by corrupting the liturgical celebration either through alteration or omission, or through arbitrary additions.
o It is not to be tolerated that some Priests … change the same texts approved by the Church.
o The reprobated practice by which Priests, Deacons or the faithful here and there alter or vary at will the texts of the Sacred Liturgy that they are charged to pronounce, must cease. For in doing thus, they render the celebration of the Sacred Liturgy unstable, and not infrequently distort the authentic meaning of the Liturgy.

[quote="Dubay, post:12, topic:301050"]
Respectfully diagree,

Over reaction and missing the point on a great day celebrating mass today over a couple words. I think our heart and forgiveness should be greater.

[/quote]

Respectfully and strenuously disagree...Read the black, do the red. That's the easy part.

It's hubris for a priest to take it upon himself to re-write the texts of the Mass. It's also illicit.

This is how it started before - and how it was rationalized as OK. It needs to be stopped now - nipped in the bud, so to speak.

I think the priest should be humble enough to do and say what he knows he is supposed to do and say. If he were and did, we'd never have this issue at all. He is wrong.

Intolerance and an attitude of being unforgiving needs to stop, love our savior Jesus Christ and celebrating mass needs to blossom.

God Bless,

The reason I think it is likely a simple mistatement is that there doesn’t seem to be a meaningful reason to change the word “communion” to “joy”. What would be the point of that change? It doesn’t really make sense and there I can’t think of what the point would be of changing it. Most priest who change the texts deliberately do so in order to demonstrate a specific point or idea that they want to get across. What would be the point of changing “communion” to “joy”?

Its the first time that I saw him. I did not like the glass paten.

the OP

There’s never any point to changing the texts, making a point or not. If they want to make a statement, there’s a homily for that.

[quote="Dubay, post:15, topic:301050"]
Intolerance and an attitude of being unforgiving needs to stop, love our savior Jesus Christ and celebrating mass needs to blossom.

[/quote]

Christ also said that what peter bound would be bound. Anyways, we are actually called to be intolerant to things that are wrong.

We should be intolerant with people deliberately changing the texts of the Mass, just as we should be intolerant of murder.

Or are you going to pop up and say we should be tolerant of murder too?

Was this the only take away after mass? A couple errant words.

Wow! I am sure the rest of mass was wonderful.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.