Opening words of Eucharistic rites

Is there any Mass, apart from the traditional Roman rite, where the laity do not hear at the beginning of the Mass the words "In the name of the Father,..." or something to that effect?

The laity should be able to hear “In nomine Patris…” in the traditional rite, if the choir isn’t chanting the Introit. At least they should see the priest and servers blessing themselves.

As the Solemn Mass is normative, and you don’t hear it during the Solemn Mass, I began to question if there were other Eucharistic rites in which it was inaudible. From what I know, it is audible in the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom.

I’m not old enough to remember Mass pre-Vatican II reforms thus I can’t comment from first-hand experience. But, I’m led to believe that Solemn Mass wasn’t that common. The “usual” parish Mass on Sundays would’ve been a sung Low Mass.

The Solememn Mas was - and is - the norm. Not norm, as in the most common , but the norm as it in it is held as the example. Why it wasn’t the most common in spite of being the norm is a whole other issue.

[quote="Ora_et_Labora, post:5, topic:336027"]
The Solememn Mas was - and is - the norm. Not norm, as in the most common , but the norm as it in it is held as the example. Why it wasn't the most common in spite of being the norm is a whole other issue.

[/quote]

Yes, it is normative. It is not common. Wasn't your question where you would not hear: "In nomine Patri ..."? Then you're unlikely not to hear it because Solemn Mass is not common.

The opening blessing in the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom is NOT In the name…, but is Blessed is the Kingdom…

The opening blessing in the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom is NOT In the name…, but is Blessed is the Kingdom…

My question was indeed about *not *hearing an opening blessing such as “In nomine Patri” or something to that effect (“Blessed is the Kingdom…” is to that effect).
As far as I know, in the traditional roman rite, in its normative expression - the solemn mass - it is not audible. Are there any non-Latin and non-Byzantine rites were this is also the case?

The Offertory of the OF and much of the Traditional Roman rite is not audible. What is your point?

I don’t have any point to make.
My OP is simply one of curiosity about the Church’s varied liturgical praxis.

[quote="Ora_et_Labora, post:8, topic:336027"]
Are there any non-Latin and non-Byzantine rites were this is also the case?

[/quote]

I am only familiar with one Latin rite and that is the Roman Rite.

To my knowledge, (and I’ve been around the block a few times), the answer is no. The Byzantine Churches have already been addressed, and it’s similar in the Syriac Churches (both Western and Eastern), where “Glory (be) to the Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost …” is always intoned aloud. I believe the same is true of the Alexandrenes, but I’m not about the Armenians. :slight_smile:

The text of the Mass is what’s important. Not whether the priest turns up his microphone or not or whether a choir sings over him or not. But that’s my opinion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.