Operating In A Spirit Of Love Part II

WHAT LOVE IS & WHAT LOVE IS NOT
Endures Long Never Envious
Patient Never Boils Over with Jealousy
Kind Boastful or Vainglorious
Rejoices when Right and Truth Prevail Does Not Display Itself Haughtily
Bears Up Under Anything and Everything That Comes Conceited
Ever Ready to Believe the Best of Every Person Rude and Act Unbecomingly
Hopes are Fadeless Under ALL Circumstances Does not Insist on its Own Rights/its Own Way
Endures Everything Self-seeking
Touchy or Fretful or Resentful
Take Account of Evil Done to it
Does Not Rejoice at Injustice and Unrighteousness
Never Fails
To many of us, God’s definition of Love looks impossible for anyone to achieve. However, if we have agreed with this study so far, we know that the list before us is the central, most important thing for us (Christians) to understand and apply to our lives. Each of us is different and so there will be many different ways that each of us will approach getting this information into our daily thoughts and actions. The purpose of this study is ONLY to bring attention to the truth concerning this subject. It will take prayer and daily practice using each of the elements above in everything you think, do, or say.
Notice that achieving an element from one side of the list, will eliminate one or more element(s) from the other side of the list. For instance, If we are KIND to the cashier checking us out at the store, we are not being RUDE AND ACTING UNBECOMINGLY. In the same scene, If we are KIND and say, “I appreciate you helping me”, and we are not concerned whether she or he returns the compliment, then we are not SELF-SEEKING. As we act out or exercise these elements of Love each day, it becomes clear why God laid both “is and is not” down in the same teaching. It is a fact that the more you practice each of these elements of love, the easier they will be achieved.
REMEMBER: How your success or failure to achieve these elements affect your business, marriage, popularity, etc, is not important because you have decided today that this is what is important to God. Achieving real love on a daily basis because it is important to God is not being SELF-SEEKING.
APPLICATION
Let’s finish this study by looking at ways to apply what we have learned in this study to how we live our lives in Christ. The rest of God’s word concerning Love from I Cor 13 below should set the tone for our approach to applying this study to our lives.
1 Corinthians 13
9 For our knowledge is fragmentary (incomplete and imperfect), and our prophecy (our teaching) is fragmentary (incomplete and imperfect).
10 But when the complete and perfect (total) comes, the incomplete and imperfect will vanish away (become antiquated, void, and superseded).
11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; now that I have become a man, I am done with childish ways and have put them aside.
12 For now we are looking in a mirror that gives only a dim (blurred) reflection [of reality as in a riddle or enigma], but then [when perfection comes] we shall see in reality and face to face! Now I know in part (imperfectly), but then I shall know and understand fully and clearly, even in the same manner as I have been fully and clearly known and understood [by God].
13 And so faith, hope, love abide [faith–conviction and belief respecting man’s relation to God and divine things; hope–joyful and confident expectation of eternal salvation; love–true affection for God and man, growing out of God’s love for and in us], these three; but the greatest of these is love.
Every day, we wake up and begin thinking about the world around us, what we have to do, where we will go, who we will see, and we get up and move about the earth accordingly. As we think about these things we must get into a habit of thinking and acting in a spirit of love. Use the list from I Cor 13 to measure what you say and do throughout the day. How can I treat my workmates, husband, wife, sister, salesman, teacher, etc, in a kindly manner? As I dress today, do I give the appearance of being conceited, boastful, or Self-seeking? Can I set through yet another 8 hours of resentment from co-workers without breaking? Can I be happy for Mr. Johnson, who got the promotion that I was sure was mine? It’s not going to be easy. We’ll go through this together and share our experiences together. But we do it because we see it is critical to becoming who God wants us to be. It is the most important thing for us to do today! God bless each of you. I love you and pray for you.

Thank you for your meditations.
God bless you and allow your reflections to bear much fruit…Trishie :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.