Opinion

I'm discerning a religious vocation, and I have visited 3 orders. I feel mostly drawn to 1 of them, but I'm really good friends with one of the other orders, and I have visited them many times, like 4 or 5 times on a come and see weekend and retreats. I don't feel called to that order, but should I still visit them ? They have a retreat coming up, and I don't know if I should go.

Also, the vocation director said that they would be happy to have me join their order. I know that they want what is best for me, and for me to be in the order that God wants me to be, but I can't escape the feeling that, since I've been visiting them so much that I would feel bad if I joined another order, even though I'd be overwhelmed with happiness when I join the order that I feel called to.

Greetings! :)

Honestly, I am discerning for my vocation on priesthood too. :) I have asked a priest on how to discern regarding this thing. He said that I should look on the following: "attraction" on religious clothing- in my case, I always find the alb/habit of the priests (especially that of the Jesuits) appealing, for no reason at all. I don't know why I like it so much. Like I want to wear it, signs that God is calling you for such vocation- I can remember asking God through prayer "Lord, give me a sign if you really are calling me for priesthood." then after that, I attended the mass (that was a Sunday). After the mass, I was shocked that the priest invited seminarians asking if any of the churgoers were interested in attending in the seminary. Rhat time, I was like "Lord, this is too fast!" :D your interests- in my case, I am very interested in theology, religious articles etc. Again, I don't know why. Caution on this part though, make sure that you focus more on what God wants you, not what you want or interested with ("Not my will, but your will be done" and as Jesus said: "It is not you who chose Me. It is I who chose you.") pray- pray to God during your discernment process. Up to now actually, I'm still discerning and asks my self "Is it really God who wants me to be a priest or it's just me?" The priest said that such discernment will take some (long) time so I really pray a lot. Goodluck (to us and people like us who feel like being called).;)

[quote="ThereseAdrianna, post:1, topic:303697"]
I don't feel called to that order, but should I still visit them ? They have a retreat coming up, and I don't know if I should go.

[/quote]

I'd say most certainly yes! Especially because you have that negative feeling...we can be easily deceived :shrug: Now I do admit that sometimes God is very adamant in letting us know when we're going in the wrong direction...then I guess you'll find out even more in the retreat ;)

I can't escape the feeling that, since I've been visiting them so much that I would feel bad if I joined another order

[/quote]

You are not doing this for the sake of other creatures or for your own sake: you are doing this for the sake of the Beloved ;) I'd worry only about what will make Him feel happy ;)

And congratulations for discerning the religious vocation, I think that's really beautiful to be open to serve God with such a degree of self-renunciation and it is such a powerful light of love towards God, in this dark little world we live in :)

And yeah, may I add. That same priest told me, even if I (or other people) are not really being called for such vocation, the Church needs lay people who are serious about their faith.

I'm discerning a religious vocation, and I have visited 3 orders. I feel mostly drawn to 1 of them, but I'm really good friends with one of the other orders, and I have visited them many times, like 4 or 5 times on a come and see weekend and retreats. I don't feel called to that order, but should I still visit them ? They have a retreat coming up, and I don't know if I should go.

Also, the vocation director said that they would be happy to have me join their order. I know that they want what is best for me, and for me to be in the order that God wants me to be, but I can't escape the feeling that, since I've been visiting them so much that I would feel bad if I joined another order, even though I'd be overwhelmed with happiness when I join the order that I feel called to.

[/quote]

If you do not feel called somewhere then do not feel bad about it. It is God's will. A community does not want people to join them unless they feel called to do so. There is no harm in going on this retreat if you want to, but don't feel pressured into doing so.

If you have found an order you feel called to then that is wonderful! If you told the other community that, they would be overjoyed for you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.