cal-catholic.com/wordpress/2012/07/31/jazzing-up-the-mass-in-san-jose/
Opinions?

The Mass is prayer, not entertainment.

[quote="Bill_Martin, post:2, topic:294193"]
The Mass is prayer, not entertainment.

[/quote]

I completely agree.**

I'll pray for all who attend and who offer this sort of nonsense. :(

Where is the Bishop in all this? Why is this allowed to happen...unbelievable...

-Paul

Yeah...I'll just be over here...with my Icons...

Not good.

What is happening! If I wanted to hear Jazz, I would go to a Jazz club. I myself like Jazz, but not in Church. So inappropiate. It feels like our Catholic Church is rapidly evaporating........:frighten:

I think the Novus Ordo is going down the tube, brethren.

Not 30 years from now, and the Church will be barely above water with its attendance numbers.

This kind of stuff PUSHES people away! It doesn't bring them in!

give em an inch, they take a mile

so sad

novus ordo strikes again.

Question; all of the instruments in a jazz ensemble are not banned within the Church, as they can all be used in an orchestra. We don't even know the style of music they're doing, it might be somber jazz, the music being suitable for Mass. So what's the deal?

Oh well.

QUICK, CALL THE CARDINAL/
[edited]

[quote="Kathryn_Ann, post:1, topic:294193"]
Opinions?

[/quote]

Psalm 150.

Umm... please correct me if I'm wrong. What I understood from the article is that the jazz festival is separate from the Mass.

[quote="grasscutter, post:13, topic:294193"]
Umm... please correct me if I'm wrong. What I understood from the article is that the jazz festival is separate from the Mass.

[/quote]

From the article:

“The many natures of jazz, both spiritual and spirited, are brought out in special musical liturgies in San Jose’s gorgeously-restored Cathedral,”

“Please join other Catholic Young Adults for the San Jose Jazz Festival and the Jazz Mass (at 4:30 pm in St. Joseph Cathedral),”

So the Jazz music will be part of the liturgy, in the context of a "Jazz Mass"

It might not be as bad as it seems. There have been quite a few "jazz style" Masses composed that are reverent in nature. These are not usually meant to be performed in an actual Mass, but are the composer's interpretations of the text of the Ordinary of the Mass. They can be very expressive and meaningful spiritually. It seems like the Cathedral is hosting the band for two Masses while the festival is going on, but that doesn't mean that they will necessarily be playing Dixieland Jazz music. A jazz band generally has a piano, a bass, a couple of melodic wind instruments, and a percussionist. These same instruments can be used tastefully in a Mass setting. I don't think there is enough evidence to get into arms yet.

[quote="TheDoors, post:6, topic:294193"]
Yeah...I'll just be over here...with my Icons...

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

My opinion? :shrug:

This has been going on for a while.

Probably no one here will like it.

Since both provinces in California now have new Archbishops something might change. But maybe not.

If this happens again next year then there will be another thread like this one.

:yawn:

At our Basilica the 9:30 mass typically has "modern" music selections and themes. For example, the worst (IMHO) occurs about once a month, in the Gloria. The cantor "performs" (sorry, I know it's not charitable) this jazzy, finger snapping (I am not making this up) rendition worthy of Jazz Showcase. Although I have not conducted formal polling on the congregation, one (ok, ME) cannot help noticing many perplexed and uncomfortable responses (or lack thereof in terms of sung response).

I am not sure if this is what is planned for San Jose. I fear that it could be more widespread than our Chicago version. With this taking place in California (the land of fruits and nuts), where all my (limited) experiences there have been parishes without kneelers and worse, I'll choose 8:00 or 11:00 mass instead. :o

[quote="Kathryn_Ann, post:1, topic:294193"]
Opinions?

[/quote]

Sounds intriguing. I'm not a big fan of jazz but I am sure the archbishop approves of the Mass, and so it will be a good thing.

I say, as long as the Eucharist and our Lord and the setting are treated with honor and respect, then it's all good.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.