Oprah, Dr. Oz allege false endorsements in lawsuit

If you’re as sick as I am of the acai berry / resveratrol ads that have been infesting the Internet for most of the past year, you’ll be glad to read this:

NEW YORK — Talk show host Oprah Winfrey and television expert Dr. Mehmet Oz, a frequent guest on Winfrey’s show, sued more than 50 businesses on Wednesday, saying they had falsely claimed the pair endorsed various beauty products and dietary supplements.

comcast.net/articles/entertainment/20090819/ENTERTAINMENT-US-OPRAH-LAWSUIT/

Many of the acai berry weight loss and resveratrol ads imply endorsement from Oprah or Dr. Oz.

I’m no fan of Oprah, but I hope she wins. Acai berry as a weight loss supplement is a scam and therefore these companies making these weight loss claims need to be put out of business.

**Pray for my conversion and Oprah’s conversion!
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

If people didn’t build her up to be some sort of mega-goddess then this would never be an issue. The insanity over this woman is just ridiculous.

~Liza

Technically, they do work within a diet, but the thing is, they are no more effective that good ole cranberries. I do think that Oprah is overrated. Women at home need to find something else to watch other than her, since that is her target audience. Get off the stage already and do something new. :okpeople:

I think that’s a big issue in how this advertising seemed to take over the internet.

But at the same time, it’s the selling proposition that has gotten out of control. People will go to great lengths to buy products that fix their weight/health problems, rather than taking the natural steps of exercising and having a healthy diet. So it’s that quick-fix mindset that’s also to blame.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.